I feel guilty when I skip cardio...

Options
Hey all. So I work out 5-6 times a week, OCCASIONALLY 7, but I like to have at least one rest day in. :) I do a pretty good mixture of strength and cardio. But I try to do a little more cardio, or at least cardio that incorporates strength....something like circuit training, because I still have a lot of fat to get rid of. On the days I skip cardio and do strictly weight training, I can't help but feel guilty. Can someone tell me why it's okay to skip cardio for one day other than your rest day? Because I know your muscles need a break to rebuild, but can skipping cardio hurt me at all?

I'm not completely uneducated on the matter. I think I just want a second opinion. :) Thank you!

Replies

• itsscottwilder
    Options
    So there's 365 days in a year.

And you're doing cardio 6 days a week.

So 52 days a year you miss cardio

you do cardio 86% of the year

If you go down to 5 days a week you're about 72% of the year

I see a 14% difference.

I think if you have an effective enough workout routine; 5 days of focused cardio could be just as beneficial as 6 days of moderate cardio
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    2? Why this many threads with the same title and info?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    2? Why this many threads with the same title and info?

Echo?
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Your utterly waisting your time..

Unless you are looking to compete in some cardio vascular activity, why de fuark are you doing that much cardio?

If you say weight loss I will have to kill myself..

The fact you said "because I have a layer of fat to get rid of".. I guess I have to kill myself

You dont need to take a single step on any cardio machine to loose weight, why you are spending that much time on cardio is beyond me. Is your eating so out of control that you cant just eat less? Why not simply cut out 400 calories of eating and not go to the gym (assuming you do 400 calories at the gym for example), there would be NO difference. maintaining muscle during your cut should be your priority, you may even need to build. If you dont your going to be skinny fat and that layer of fat will NEVER (until ur disgustingly thin) go.

Drop the cardio, start lifting.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns a ton of calories and is great for the heart, lungs etc. But people lose weight without ever doing any cardio past their normal daily activities. Women on here have lost weight and got super red hot bodies with purely weight lifting routines.

Keep some cardio in your routine as like I said above, it is awesome for some things. But absolutely no need to knock yourself out with it or feel guilty if you don't do it. When eating at a calorie deficit some kind of resistant training is really important as it's difficult to maintain your muscle anyway, add in heaps of cardio and it becomes extremely difficult.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty - or eat 400 calories less and don't train as he said above - seriously bad advice!

Cardio is good and if you enjoy it even better. 3/4 times a week is good with strength training the rest is my advice.