Looking to increase upper body without with body weight

I'm a mostly healthy 50YO male looking to increase upper body muscles, primarily chest and arms. Any recommendations with no weights, except for a pair of 20-pound dumbbells? Is SWORKIT a good option? Since I've been jogging for the past five years, my legs are already in decent shape, so I think I'll spend two-thirds of my effort getting my upper body to catch up. Thanks.

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Pushups, pullups, OA/OL variants. Inverted and elevated pushup variants, Ring rows.

See Convict conditioning or Pavel's Naked Warrior or You Are your own Gym or anything from Kavadlo brothers. OR for a change of pace, gymnastic based circuits.
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    Try darebee - they have some great 30+ Day programs using bodyweight only.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Unless youre a extreme responder to training, I doubt you are going to get the results you are looking for.

To build muscle at your age, your going to need sufficient muscle stimulus, recovery, and forced adaptation under progression of a well written program. Along with eating in a surplus, probably protein intake that is slightly larger than 1 gram per lb of body weight, 3 grams of leucine per meal involving protein and patience. 20 lb dumbbells are not going to get you started very well on your goal of adding muscle.

Perhaps look into a trainer with a good track record and either buying a barbell setup or a gym membership.

That ^^

But if you want to try, Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym are go-to bodyweight programs.
  • stanmann571
    IF you're willing to put in the work, you'll get the results without joining a gym or lifting a single barbell.

If you have any questions, review the physiques of the Male gymnast Olympians.

It's certainly easier with a bar, but the benefits of bodyweight are far greater.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Pushups, pullups, OA/OL variants. Inverted and elevated pushup variants, Ring rows.

See Convict conditioning or Pavel's Naked Warrior or You Are your own Gym or anything from Kavadlo brothers. OR for a change of pace, gymnastic based circuits.

This! And too add that just because you run, doesn't mean you can or should skip leg strengthening exercises.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    IF you're willing to put in the work, you'll get the results without joining a gym or lifting a single barbell.

It's certainly easier with a bar, but the benefits of bodyweight are far greater.

I don't think male gymnasts and weight training are mutually exclusive, but they are also among the elites genetically, workout hours a day, and basically cap out at around 24-28 so probably not a great comparison but I see your point, but you can't compare a gymnast to a bodybuilder either, even a truly natural one for muscle built. The gymnast is only worried about strength to weight while the bodybuilder is only worried about hypertrophy. You can do some great things with bodyweight exercises and I've seen a guy get some decent results in his 50s, but not comparable to a weight workout and he wasn't just doing pushups etc. He was working out at the local school playground on the climbers etc.

I do both bodyweight and weight lifting and I think they are a great compliment to one another. The way I see it is that weights are for getting better at moving objects while bodyweight is for getting better at moving yourself.
  • Wheelhouse15

I would add in kettlebells.
  • stanmann571

So would I, but since he doesn't have any I didn't mention them.
  • Wheelhouse15

So would I, but since he doesn't have any I didn't mention them.

True, but he mentioned DB's so I figured he could swap. :smile:
  • stanmann571

I don't think male gymnasts and weight training are mutually exclusive, but they are also among the elites genetically, workout hours a day, and basically cap out at around 24-28 so probably not a great comparison but I see your point, but you can't compare a gymnast to a bodybuilder either, even a truly natural one for muscle built. The gymnast is only worried about strength to weight while the bodybuilder is only worried about hypertrophy. You can do some great things with bodyweight exercises and I've seen a guy get some decent results in his 50s, but not comparable to a weight workout and he wasn't just doing pushups etc. He was working out at the local school playground on the climbers etc.

I do both bodyweight and weight lifting and I think they are a great compliment to one another. The way I see it is that weights are for getting better at moving objects while bodyweight is for getting better at moving yourself.

The reality is that unless you're starting out as a petite man, with a pure BW program, you're going to run out of strength capacity and patience long before you run out of progression possibilities.

That's 250 lbs held overhead there to the left.
  • Wheelhouse15

The reality is that unless you're starting out as a petite man, with a pure BW program, you're going to run out of strength capacity and patience long before you run out of progression possibilities.

That's 250 lbs held overhead there to the left.

Yes, it is very impressive although the leverages are different than putting a 250 pound barbell overhead. They aren't the same and I've progressed through the various BW leverage exercises in the past so am familiar with the time and effort it takes. I could do 165 one handed stand but barely OHP 135. Being 250 and doing BW is extremely hard I imagine since I found that going from 150 - 165 very challenging to keep up with many of the exercises. I don't even try human flag anymore lol.

I definitely agree you won't hit your progression possibilities but it also depends on your goals too. If you are in it for building a lot of muscle then BW isn't really the best, the gymnasts you mention may look impressive but they are, in fact, under 150lbs for the most part and not particularly big in the overall scheme of things. Next to a bodybuilder of similar height they would disappear. Also, you will never tap your full strength in the weight room either, we just don't have enough time to really hit our potential strength either way we try to obtain it.

My intent was not really debating the weight vs BW thing because I really enjoy both and I tend to look at performance goals over tools and go from there. To me it's pointless argument since they aren't mutually exclusive although I see a lot of people who seem to believe that. What is important is determining your goals, your time frames and then selecting the tools that fit.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Just pushups, pullups and dips (in addition to BPs and OHPs) were all I needed to develop muscularity and strength in my chest, back, shoulders and arms.

If you can afford it, you can use a weighted vest to increase resistance so that you don''t have to do a ridiculous # of reps.

A weighted belt w/chain to hold plates will work for pullups and dips but not pushups The weighted belt is also very cumbersome to use.

This is all you really need, if you can't afford or fit a rack and bench w/a barbell & plates in your home or don't have access to such equipment at a gym.
  • stanmann571
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Just pushups, pullups and dips (in addition to BPs and OHPs) were all I needed to develop muscularity and strength in my chest, back, shoulders and arms.

If you can afford it, you can use a weighted vest to increase resistance so that you don''t have to do a ridiculous # of reps.

A weighted belt w/chain to hold plates will work for pullups and dips but not pushups The weighted belt is also very cumbersome to use.

This is all you really need, if you can't afford or fit a rack and bench w/a barbell & plates in your home or don't have access to such equipment at a gym.

A Small ruck can be used to add resistance to pushups if desired. NO need to buy " weight pouches" Water bottles and bags of flour/sugar work just fine.
  • Wheelhouse15

A Small ruck can be used to add resistance to pushups if desired. NO need to buy " weight pouches" Water bottles and bags of flour/sugar work just fine.

And if you have kids or a SO that works too. ;)
  • stanmann571

And if you have kids or a SO that works too. ;)

True.

IF using SO or larger kids. Make sure they are either distributed near your shoulders, or are laying on your back so as to reduce chance of lower back injury. Smaller children are less likely to raise risk of injury.

Alternately you can use your SO or larger child for reduced load presses by doing a floor press with them holding a broomstick or fighting staff while you lay on your back. This is also a fun coop drill.

Lay on your back with the staff held at arms length with hands about shoulder width. Your partner should be "upside down to you and place their hands and shoulder width and set up as for a chair or wall pushup. You can either alternate pressing or press simultaneously. IF pressing simultaneously, workload for the down partner will stay relatively static or increase slightly while for the up partner it will decrease. Although it increases the stability load.
  • FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    bgowder , don't get discourage I am 60 yo and more muscular than the average man. I have worked out all my life. For the most effective and efficient program to gain strength and size I recommend to search for 5*5 workout and do the chest and shoulders routine. https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Good luck!
    FitRican
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2018
    FitRican wrote: »
    bgowder , don't get discourage I am 60 yo and more muscular than the average man. I have worked out all my life. For the most effective and efficient program to gain strength and size I recommend to search for 5*5 workout and do the chest and shoulders routine. https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Good luck!
    FitRican

This is definitely something that younger, and older, people need to realize. The difference in muscle mass between a 21yo and 72yo is actually very comparable IF the older person is active. In fact, from the research I've heard of the 72yo can maintain about 90% or more of muscle mass, which is amazing. However, the difference between an active 72yo and inactive 72yo is night and day, with the inactive person often having less than 60% of the muscle mass of the active person.

Keep up the good work and stay strong!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member

This is true but it is less than ideal and I did preface my suggestion with:

"If you can afford it..."
  • brtgl
    brtgl Posts: 129 Member
    Thanks for all the posts. I can't get this forum to send me a notification when someone replies.

Anyway, I ended up meeting with a personal trainer at LA Fitness yesterday (free voucher). My body fat is 25% and I weigh 193 at 5'11". The trainer suggested three sessions a week M (upper body), W (core) and F (legs) to focus on replacing 10 pounds of fat with 10 pounds of muscle. I was wondering if that was actually enough with working an area only one time per week.

He mentioned not being able to achieve my goals working out at home without weights, which includes building up chest, tightening up stomach, etc. My arms, legs, etc. all respond positively and quickly to strength conditioning, but my chest has always been that one area that I've always wanted to improve.

I really don't want to fork out the money for training and don't see me making the drive to LA Fitness three times per week, so I'd be willing to buy kettlebells or whatever, if that would help me stay home for workouts.