Question to those who cycle /ridebikes to work

Options
I was wondering how do you deal with being sweaty when you get there? I mean, one cannot avoid it, i change into different clothes from my cycling stuff, but my hair is all wet at times too, depending on the outside temps. I live in Florida, so it's mostly warm or hot. Thank you, hoping to learn some tricks!

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I was lucky enough to work in an office with showers. I kept several changes of clothes and toiletries there. Before that, in mild temps I could get by with a baby wipe wipe-down. In hotter weather I'd use a washcloth and do a sponge bath. And dry shampoo for my hair.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Leave early and go slow in the way in, try to arrive a few minutes early to air out, change, and take a bird bath in the sink.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I keep baby wipes and a stick of deodorant in my office...
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I was lucky enough to work in an office with showers. I kept several changes of clothes and toiletries there. Before that, in mild temps I could get by with a baby wipe wipe-down. In hotter weather I'd use a washcloth and do a sponge bath. And dry shampoo for my hair.
    Taking notes, thank you!
    Leave early and go slow in the way in, try to arrive a few minutes early to air out, change, and take a bird bath in the sink.
    I tend to do the opposite, go hard in the morning, because after work it's usually dark, and i don't ride as fast to keep safe from debris, pot holes, etc. Plus, the main reason i ride to work is to get some extra saddle time in, as it's been very hard to fit enough hours of riding this winter because of shorter days, longer work, busy weekends. So i decided a little extra is better than none. Thank you for your input though.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've been flirting with the idea of riding to work in the spring too, and the sweaty factor had me wondering too. And helmet hair.....but also rush hour *kitten* hole drivers.
  • Sonnyrae
    Sonnyrae Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I now have a job about 2 miles from my house, so I don't really worry too much about sweating. I did work about 10 miles away and would ride occasionally. I brought a change of clothes, wipes, and deodorant (as previously mentioned). I usually then pulled my hair up into a messy bun or something. We weren't lucky enough to have a shower, but it worked out okay. Even on brisk days, there was no way to get around sweating when you bike 10 miles.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I used to change in a bathroom stall and kept a caddy I could hang on the wall by the sink. It had a hair dryer (for sweat and rain), comb, one washcloth for the face, one washcloth for body (sponge bath), a small towel to dry, cleanser, deodorant, and lotion/sunscreen. I kept that in a drawer at work and carried my outfit in every day.

Now I have a shower where I work. I get in about 15 minutes early (takes me the same time with or without shower). My face gets REALLY red so I have to put up with the "Wow, did you ride your bike to work?" comments for about an hour until it goes back to normal.

On the dry shampoo- I have dry shampoo in my locker now, but it doesn't work at all for me when my hair is wet. If I get really sweaty, I'll rinse off the hair around my hairline. I use Dr. Bronner's which can be shampoo in a pinch. I don't use a hair dryer in my current setup because there are no outlets in the shower room and I don't want to take the time. I'll run down and use the dry shampoo on my break if my hair is too wet when I come in.

I commute year-round about 8 miles one-way.
  • icemom011
    Options
    Sonnyrae wrote: »
    I now have a job about 2 miles from my house, so I don't really worry too much about sweating. I did work about 10 miles away and would ride occasionally. I brought a change of clothes, wipes, and deodorant (as previously mentioned). I usually then pulled my hair up into a messy bun or something. We weren't lucky enough to have a shower, but it worked out okay. Even on brisk days, there was no way to get around sweating when you bike 10 miles.

Yeap, my commute is7-9 miles one way, depending on the day.
  • icemom011
    Options
    DanerTee wrote: »
    I've been flirting with the idea of riding to work in the spring too, and the sweaty factor had me wondering too. And helmet hair.....but also rush hour *kitten* hole drivers.

I have a strong dislike for rush hour drivers too, but it has been ok so far, i think I'm missing the worst of the rush hour traffic
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Keeping a towel or something loose to put on for a few minutes after removing cycling clothes -while drying off in the A/C- before putting work clothes on is helpful. And an extra deodorant.
  • icemom011
    Options
    Fitting all things that i need for the day into my backpack is challenging too, mylunch box along takes up so much space
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Fitting all things that i need for the day into my backpack is challenging too, mylunch box along takes up so much space

I started with a backpack, but it made my back hurt after a year. I now ride with 2 panniers. One holds my clothes, the other holds my food. I eat 2 meals at work and lots of veggies, which takes up tons of room. The backpack just couldn't cut it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

If you're cramped for space in your backpack consider a set of panniers....if you can fit them on your bike (some road bikes can be a PITA) it also moves your cargo from your back helping you arrive at work a little less sweaty.

91MI0JfbP9L._SY355_.jpg
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Fortunately for me, I was in the military or working with the department when I was cycling to work so they always had showers available. I don't know how I would do it if I didn't have those available.
  • icemom011
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »

I started with a backpack, but it made my back hurt after a year. I now ride with 2 panniers. One holds my clothes, the other holds my food. I eat 2 meals at work and lots of veggies, which takes up tons of room. The backpack just couldn't cut it.
    *alone
    I eat bunches of veggies too, they are quite heavy and take up lots of space. I'm not sure about the panniers, right now I use my road bike to commute and backpack is very comfortable. Although maybe I should start riding my old mountain bike to work.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Now I dont ride to work but a couple of people where I work do. So as a fellow co-worker- please dont hang your sweaty shirt in the bathroom to dry it sticks the whole place out.

My other co-worker who regularly rides hangs her towel over and places her shoes next to her bike outside. She mustnt sweat as much as the bloke as I think she just keeps her clothes in a bag and I have never noticed a smell.

A small desktop fan can help if you need to cool down/dry off, sometimes its better to wait to cool off before changing into officewear otherwise you'll just sweat into those. I used to do lunchtime gym classes and come back sweaty. I would eat my lunch before getting changed back into officewear just so my body had a chance to finish sweating.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i live in a rain forest so it's not just about sweat. it's the rain and the grit and the roadsplash as well. so i've always somehow managed to finagle shower capability. a few times that meant buying membership at whatever fitness club/rec centre was closest, which kind of equalized the cost to about the same as driving and paying to park. but it's about what you're into and i was into the bike commuting.

at least one of my colleagues at one of those locations was a hardcore baby-wipes man. work clothes kept at work, hung on his cube wall. but normally bike commuting facilities is one of the things that i ask about every time i interview for a new contract, and i'm lucky enough to live in a city where there's almost always something available for other people like me.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    Now I dont ride to work but a couple of people where I work do. So as a fellow co-worker- please dont hang your sweaty shirt in the bathroom to dry it sticks the whole place out.

My other co-worker who regularly rides hangs her towel over and places her shoes next to her bike outside. She mustnt sweat as much as the bloke as I think she just keeps her clothes in a bag and I have never noticed a smell.

A small desktop fan can help if you need to cool down/dry off, sometimes its better to wait to cool off before changing into officewear otherwise you'll just sweat into those. I used to do lunchtime gym classes and come back sweaty. I would eat my lunch before getting changed back into officewear just so my body had a chance to finish sweating.

From my experience in running, cycling, dancing groups: it's usually only been ~1 person in 10 that will really smell after physical exertion, and another 1-2 will sweat a bit more excessively (but not noticeably smell).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    30kgin2017 wrote: »

This. I keep a loose-ish light athletic dress in my running gear that I can throw on for a bit before changing into my dancing clothes.