Newbie-Keto with a lot to lose

Options
Hi all, I am a female, mid 30's, getting started on a life overhaul. I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember, but am at an all time high since getting married and having a child. My eating habits have been out of control and I feel terrible about myself. I'm tired of feeling so low and am implementing a lot of changes in my life to become more healthy.

I am significantly overweight-- obese category and have PCOS, insulin resistance, a Vitamin D deficiency, and hypothyroidism. I have decided to go with a Keto diet because I have lost weight with low carb diets in the past, but I always paired them with low fat diets as well and the results weren't long lasting.

I tried the Keto diet a few months ago and made it about a week before I tanked. I was able to follow the diet well, but I wasn't drinking enough water and I went through carb withdrawl very roughly. The side effects made me quit.

Since I last tried, I've been diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency and hypothyroidism. I am taking medications for both and I feel like a whole new person. I have energy, a great range of motion (before my bones were so stiff and popped just from doing normal activities like walking), and motivation. I really want to be successful this time because I want my livelihood back. I want to be healthy for myself, my husband, and my children.

Replies

• Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I follow a KETO lifestyle and honestly - it's what works for me.

When you start and you have the cravings eat a pickle and drinks TONS of water. Make sure you keep your electrolytes up. I have an open diary for friends if you want to follow!
  • sunnycloud82
    sunnycloud82 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Your story sounds so much like mine! I would love to stay connected so we can motivate each other.

I'm a week into Keto and loving it. Down 10 pounds since I started! The first week was pretty rough but I'm starting to feel better. I did a lot of research and found out that for women with hypothyroidism sometimes keto is not good, but it's very good for women with PCOS. I was told to give it a try but to make sure I get plenty of rest and supplement my electrolytes. So be sure to read up on that and get those in. I think that made a huge difference for me already since usually I give up on low carb diets about 3 days in.

I've been at this weight loss thing for several years. I lost 111 pounds about 5 years ago but gained a ton back. But this is my year to turn it around and get on track. Let's keep each other motivated! :)
  • scraik1
    scraik1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I also am starting a keto diet this year. Only have 10 pounds to lose and I have read a lot about this diet. I can't find anything that tells me how many calories I should shoot for to lose weight on keto. It all looks like just percentages of Fats, Carbs, and Proteins. So my question is can I eat as many calories as I want as long as I stay in the correct percentages?