Question about dieting

Options
I’ve recently started following a meal plan to lose weight but sometimes because of school and activities I have no time to eat some of the food (mostly snacks) What happens if for example: I have to eat a banana around 10am but I don’t eat it bc whatever reason, so I decide to eat it at let’s say 3pm, will that affect me? Like is it gonna make me gain weight because of the timing? Sorry if the question is kinda stupid but im a newbie to this

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter, just total calorie count.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's only going to impact you in that you'll probably be hungrier at 3 PM than you would be at 10 AM. But it won't cause you to gain weight. For weight loss, an overall calorie deficit is what matters. You could eat your food whenever you wanted and still lose weight as long as you were in a deficit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    No, meal timing does not matter other than if it makes you have a harder or easier time sticking to your calories.

You don't need to follow a specific meal plan either, although if you want to it's fine. Weight loss is about calories, nutrition is important too, but IMO eating in a nutritious matter is much simpler than some would make it. For sustainability you want to make sure what you do fits with your lifestyle and preferences. For example, I HATE eating lots of mini meals and feel unsatisfied, so would never do that.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    For just weight loss, when you eat your meals and snacks doesn't matter at all. Eating a snack later in the day might affect how you feel that particular day, but it won't make you gain weight and it won't make you stop losing.