Constant yawning whilst exercise!!!

Bit of a weird one.
I've been running for the last year and a half and would consider myself reasonably fit.
The last couple of months I have noticed that I am yawning a lot more during a run...to the point where it makes my breathing harder.
I dont think that it is due to fatigue and i get plenty of sleep, and do not feel tired whilst running.

Any ideas on why im constantly yawning during a run?

Thanks everyone!!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2018

Are you fuelling your body enough for your runs?
    But also it could just be the dreary days of winter making you feel more tired.
    Usually exercising energies and refreshes us.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    I was always told yawning was a way to get extra oxygen, is it possible that you are breathing quite shallowly while running?
  • mikeb4bjj
    mikeb4bjj Posts: 317 Member
    Sounds like an anxiety thing. Common symptom.
  • Kazzellin
    Kazzellin Posts: 2 Member
    In my experience, if I’m yawning while I’m exercising, then I’m dehydrated, and my body is trying to compensate for the lack of oxygen (from water) in my blood by making me yawn. Easiest way to make up for it and stop yawning is to drink more water. Not just beverages that have water (such as lemonade) - cross country driving has shown me that other beverages are not as good at keeping yawns at bay.

Also, drinks that contain caffeine are going to block your body’s ability to absorb water - sure, they make keep you awake, but they also dehydrate. A good rule of thumb for water consumption is that if your urine is yellow, even a little bit, then you’re dehydrated. I hope this helps! :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I used to yawn continuously back in the day when I lifted weights hard. But I don't seem to do that much at all no matter what I am doing now.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,059 Member
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    I was always told yawning was a way to get extra oxygen, is it possible that you are breathing quite shallowly while running?

I heard this too, and find if I start yawning during exercise, deeper breathing helps
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    How are your iron levels? When my husband had severe anemia, one of the side effects was endless yawning.