Need to do more

Options
Over the past few months I have seriously tried to commit to exercise and eat better on a daily basis. Over that time I severely injured my arm and have pulled my groin muscle twice, therefore limiting my movement during that time. I have noticed that I’m not losing weight like I want. I am between 2,000-2,500 calories most of the time. If I do not go to the gym I walk for an hour daily. I do some form of exercise 5-6 days a week. I admit I don’t drink the amount of water I should and my nutrition isn’t exactly where I want it but I am working on it. My macros are within close range of where they should be on a daily basis. I feel better and (IMO) look a bit better but the scale says I’m gaining weight little by little. Is it water retention, sugar retention or could it be muscle? I am about 400 lbs and my goal is 200 lbs. I am 40 years old. I will continue to exercise in some form 5-6 x per week but I may need some nutritional advice and some advice to what has helped you lose weight. Not looking for “eat less and drink more water” comments because I am already working on that.

Thanks

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    How are you logging your food? If you're gaining, that's the first place to look. Also how much is little? Weight fluctuations are a thing, and normal.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    what kinda trends of wieght gain are we talking here. one week? Two weeks? what's the month trend? down or up
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food? Are you choosing correct entries in the database? When you say you aren't losing the amount you want, what does that mean?
  • rjel78
    rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I’ve gained 3 lbs in 3 weeks. I am entering all foods in my daily MFP log ins and I want to be loosing 1/2-1 lbs a week and I’m not
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    rjel78 wrote: »
    I’ve gained 3 lbs in 3 weeks. I am entering all foods in my daily MFP log ins and I want to be loosing 1/2-1 lbs a week and I’m not

Are you weighing everything you eat?
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Are you weighing everything you eat?

So this again. And are you choosing correct database entries? We could help more if you opened your diary
  • rjel78
    Options
    This again?
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Losing weight is about consuming less calories than you burn. You said you’re working on “ eating less”. But how can you know if you are truly consuming less calories, if you don’t weigh and log your food/beverages accurately?

This is always the first place to look when you’re not losing weight the way you think you should. Logging errors are common, most of us have had to learn how to do this properly. Give it a try - I think you’ll like the results! :)
    This again?

• rjel78
    Options
    If I have one then I log one, if I have one serving then I log one serving. I double check everything I log to make sure it registers correctly. I have learned to be very accurate when logging food
  • rjel78
    Options
    I have been logging for over 400 days so I am not new to this
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If I have one then I log one, if I have one serving then I log one serving. I double check everything I log to make sure it registers correctly. I have learned to be very accurate when logging food

But you didn't answer whether you are weighing your food? Based on this answer, I am assuming not. If you open your diary, you may receive better advice.

If you set your goal to .5 lb/wk, your calories are very close to maintenance and you have to be very accurate when logging. That's particularly when weighing your food can become very important for many people. At your weight, you could safely set a goal of 1.5 lb/wk and have more room for logging errors. But if you're going to stay with a .5 lb deficit, you should weigh your food.

ETA: Additionally, how often do you weigh yourself? You say you have "gained" three pounds in three weeks. Do you weigh yourself once a week? If so, you very well may have just weighed on a high day, as weight fluctuates.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Keep doing what you've been doing and you'll keep getting what you've been getting.

There have been some useful questions asked which may be helpful in sorting out your problems. If you dismiss them out of hand, you're only hurting yourself.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This again?
    This always.
    But are you successful?
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to eat in deficit when one is used to overeating. I recently found that saving more calories for dinner rather than eating small frequent meals during the day is what helps me stay in the deficit calorie range for me. Find techniques that work for you and simply refuse to give up.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options

First, at 400 lbs I hope you are working alongside a physician.

At 400 pounds, why are you going for just 1/2 pound to 1 pound weight loss a week? Unless you have a medical issue going on, you likely could change your weekly target to losing 2 pounds a week.

And of course you should try to be as accurate as you can when logging in your food portions. As for excercise, have you considered water activities like water walking or jogging, aqua fitness classes. These are just suggestions. Take what you need, leave the rest. I wish you well on your journey. It may not be easy, but it is worth doing.