Are all calories the same?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    So if I'm retaining more water weight, what are the foods doing that? Sugar? Bread? If I try to eliminate those and swap for veggies, would it make a difference? I mean I know I'd feel fuller from eating a bunch of veggies as compared to 1 cookie but I feel like I'd rather eat that damn cookie and feel hungry than forcing veggies.

Your body is comprised of 50-65% water...there are certainly things like sodium and whatnot that can affect water weight...but it naturally fluctuates as well...it's not fat, so stop worrying about it.

Weight loss isn't a linear function, and body weight isn't static...you have to look at trends over time...you don't have remotely enough data points to do any kind of meaningful analysis.

This isn't mine, but this is what weight loss looks like for pretty much everyone...

weighttrendgraph2.gif

The blue is the weigh in to weigh in numbers...the red is the trend...the red line over time is what is important...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Does it matter what you eat as long as you're within calorie limit set by mfp? I was losing weight for the first 4 days then went up .2 lbs then another 1 lb even though I've been eating my net calorie limit 1240.

1240 net calories...........how did you measure this number?

If you food intake is measured incorrectly......if you calorie burn estimates are inflated, then you are not at 1240 net calories.

Daily weight fluctuations are meaningless. Water weight fluctuates for many reasons - higher sodium day, sore muscles, hormones.....even your bathroom visits affect the scale.

You can eat anything you want for weight loss, but you may want to make changes for long term health. If I eat a higher % of "junky" calories and eating fewer calories altogether....I'm going to be hungry. Getting more "bang for my calorie buck".....more protein and more fiber, will help be stay full longer.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    One of the first questions I ever asked on here was about controlling water weight and here's what I learned after losing 55 pounds: give up on the idea that you can control your body's natural fluctuations. That sounds harsh, but you're going to have good weigh ins and bad weigh ins and weigh ins you can't possibly explain. The random gains are going to happen no matter how good you are or how you try to stop them. And they'll continue once you reach your goal and move into maintenance. Weird weigh ins will be a fact of life forever. The sooner you can embrace them and learn to laugh them off the happier you'll be. If one bad weigh in is enough to make you give up then I don't know what to tell you. They happen. They suck. We all hate them. But sometimes you have to shrug your shoulders and move on.

So much this.

Unless you're an elite professional athlete in a weight class sport, there's no benefit to controlling for water weight fluctuations.
  • spaghettiburger
    spaghettiburger Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Does it matter what you eat as long as you're within calorie limit set by mfp? I was losing weight for the first 4 days then went up .2 lbs then another 1 lb even though I've been eating my net calorie limit 1240.

If you food intake is measured incorrectly......if you calorie burn estimates are inflated, then you are not at 1240 net calories.

Daily weight fluctuations are meaningless. Water weight fluctuates for many reasons - higher sodium day, sore muscles, hormones.....even your bathroom visits affect the scale.

You can eat anything you want for weight loss, but you may want to make changes for long term health. If I eat a higher % of "junky" calories and eating fewer calories altogether....I'm going to be hungry. Getting more "bang for my calorie buck".....more protein and more fiber, will help be stay full longer.

I'm trying to introduce noise to this question. So I'm using cookies as an example. I am trying to eat a balanced diet but the root of it was that I started at 166.6 and went these weights per day (before I get this, same time in AM, naked, after peeing, etc)

166.6, 166.0, 165.4, 165.0, 164.2, 164.0, 164.2 165.0, 165.0, 165.2

So I'm trying to ask, which some have already answered, is it that I'm eating white rice over brown rice or using a hamburger bun instead of lettuce for a bun type food choices but still within my calorie limits that's causing me to see the weight to go back up and not moving downwards. Of course I want to see progress. It's a reward for sticking with my calorie limits and saying no to additional eating.

And the difference between eating junky food versus "heathy" food is how I feel well I'm ok with that consequence for now if I don't have to theoretically eat a hamburger without a bun. My whole point here is that I'm not trying to drastically change my diet to unrealistic means where then I start binging because I didn't have 1 cookie and then get into cravings later. I rather do portion control. But if it means that I'm not losing weight because I'm eating white rice over brown rice then I'll eat the damn brown rice.

Anyway, the net calories mean the food minus exercise. I already know exercise is generally overestimating calories so I try to ignore mfp and do 100-300 calories instead of 400-600 calories eating back the exercise calories.
  • spaghettiburger
    Options
    I made a typo.. I'm ***not** trying to introduce noise into my original question
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Food choice will not make a significant difference over the long term on the same caloric intake.
  • spaghettiburger
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

I'm trying to introduce noise to this question. So I'm using cookies as an example. I am trying to eat a balanced diet but the root of it was that I started at 166.6 and went these weights per day (before I get this, same time in AM, naked, after peeing, etc)

So I'm trying to ask, which some have already answered, is it that I'm eating white rice over brown rice or using a hamburger bun instead of lettuce for a bun type food choices but still within my calorie limits that's causing me to see the weight to go back up and not moving downwards. Of course I want to see progress. It's a reward for sticking with my calorie limits and saying no to additional eating.

And the difference between eating junky food versus "heathy" food is how I feel well I'm ok with that consequence for now if I don't have to theoretically eat a hamburger without a bun. My whole point here is that I'm not trying to drastically change my diet to unrealistic means where then I start binging because I didn't have 1 cookie and then get into cravings later. I rather do portion control. But if it means that I'm not losing weight because I'm eating white rice over brown rice then I'll eat the damn brown rice.

Anyway, the net calories mean the food minus exercise. I already know exercise is generally overestimating calories so I try to ignore mfp and do 100-300 calories instead of 400-600 calories eating back the exercise calories.

I'm sorry, but you've lost 1.4 pounds over 10 days. What's the problem? Seriously, stop focusing on the day to day minutia and look at overall trends.

This is the EXACT reason I did not want to include unnecessary info into this question. The amount of weight loss is not the problem here. I am seeing my weight go back up and it's been stable there for 3 days. Refer to my original question where I'm asking does it matter what I'm eating as long as I'm sticking with my calorie limit to see weight loss.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Have you come across the so-called Twinkie diet guy yet: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Or the teacher who lost weight eating only McDonalds: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-lose-weight-eating-only-mcdonalds-2015-10

Or here on MFP Dvdgzz's excellent post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1

There are numerous other n=1 tests that have been carried out and reported on. You might find some of them helpful to see that it really is just the calories and not the labels we put on food that cause weight loss.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Ok so do you have the answers you need now, or are there some points you are still confused about?

Because the advice has been pretty consistent throughout:

1. Calories are a unit of measurement only
    2. Different foods have different nutrient profiles and offer different satiety but no specific food is going to help you lose weight by consuming it or not consuming it.
    3. No food is "good" or "bad" anything can work in the context of an overall balanced diet
    4. Weight loss is not linear and focusing on the day to day fluctuations is not going to be productive for you.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Weight fluctuations will happen whether you choose the brown or white rice. Average calorie intake over the long term determines weight over the long term.

Here is a 3 month time frame for me where I was at or below my calorie goal every day. My weight, and even my trend line, was all over the place but the overall trend was downward. You need to gather enough data to look at your trend.

zi0deads3al2.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Let's say I ate 9 Twinkies every day.....that's 1215 calories. If my maintenance calories are 1800, that leaves me with a deficit of (1800-1215) = 585 calories.

Calories are fuel. Too many calories = fat storage, or lean muscle gain (hard work required). Too few calories = dipping into reserves.

Because 1 pound = 3,500 calories......3,500/585 = 5.98. That means I would lose 1 pound every 6 days.

Because Twinkies have no fiber....I will be "backed-up." Because Twinkies have little protein, some of the weight I lose will be lean muscle loss. Because Twinkies have so many "empty" calories.....I will be starving.

But I can reach the number on the scale that I'm looking for.

Consider a smaller you will require smaller calories forever. You don't HAVE TO make changes to your diet. But long term maintenance is going to be more pleasant if you choose to.

I can't stand brown rice.....but like whole wheat bread. I don't like 100% of veggies, but some may be an acquired taste.

Micro managing water weight and waste weight.....why? You're not looking at the big picture.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but you've lost 1.4 pounds over 10 days. What's the problem? Seriously, stop focusing on the day to day minutia and look at overall trends.

This is the EXACT reason I did not want to include unnecessary info into this question. The amount of weight loss is not the problem here. I am seeing my weight go back up and it's been stable there for 3 days. Refer to my original question where I'm asking does it matter what I'm eating as long as I'm sticking with my calorie limit to see weight loss.

And you have been given the same answer multiple times.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Your question has been answered by the vast majority of posters...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Pav8888 mentioned the snickers. I think you missed that point. I'm not eating 100% snickers. I was asking if I'm going to see the same results on the scale overtime if I eat a cookie for 100 calories versus an apple + nuts for 100 calories for example. Like both options have different nutritional content in them. Is it that specific nutrients that I'd be missing out on for having a sweet or carbs instead of choosing salads while still staying within my calorie limit going to affect my weight loss. I get in the short term day to day it could be water weight but I'm thinking longer term.

Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, calories are all that matter. But in terms of your overall health, weight loss isn't all that matters.

Although it's frequently said that you can eat anything you want and lose weight as long as you're eating at a caloric deficit (which is absolutely true), I think it's wrong-headed to view calories/energy intake and nutrition for general health as two completely separate entities because they're necessarily inter-related. Your calories matter for energy balance, but those same calories also matter for nutrition.

In regards to nutrition, you need to apply context to formulate a rational answer your question. If you're eating a generally balanced diet and getting adequate nutrition, and you choose to include cookies or Snickers bars or whatever in moderation without crowding out other essential nutrients, the differences between that and an apple + nuts is negligible (although an apple + nuts is perfectly fine too, if that's your thing - either choice is going to be comprised of mostly carbs and fats, with traces of protein). If you're eating a crap diet which isn't giving you adequate nutrition in the first place and replacing essential nutrients with cookies and Snickers bars, you're doing it wrong. Yes, you'll see the same results on the scale, but the scale isn't (or at least shouldn't be) all that matters.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations will happen regardless of what you consume, because of hormones, sleep quality, sodium intake, digestion issues, stress levels, muscle repair, and the list goes on.

So to answer your question, along with others that have already done so. No. It really doesn't matter what you eat as long as you have a caloric deficit. Watch the trend over a month or so and you'll know if you're doing ok.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

If calories are the same, NO you will not lose less fat because you had white rice vs. brown or ate buns with your burgers or had some cookies. Period. If you cut sodium or carbs for a while and then have a higher day, that is one of MANY reasons you might retain some water. I don't see that in your numbers, but something to be aware of.

The problem people are focusing on here is that you seem to think there must be some specific fat loss related cause for MINOR fluctuations in weight or what your weight does day to day. Stop thinking that you should be losing a trackable amount of fat on a daily basis, that's not realistic.

I think it makes sense to weigh daily if it helps you understand fluctuations and not stress about them, but for weight loss look at weeks, assume an average of a lb a week (maybe less if you are close to goal), and realize some weeks will be more and some will be less and there are numerous reasons for that NOT relating to any problem with what you are doing.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    You are showing 10 days of weigh ins with minor variation, an overall downward trend that is flattening the last few days.

You were shown earlier a 10 day period where at around 162lbs the poster could have been looking at a rapidly increasing weight if they were looking at the 10 days in isolation.

On June 5 I was 152.5lbs. on July 4 I was 154.0lbs. a gain of 1.5lbs! What a wasted month, am-i-right? My trending weight on June 4 was 155.7 on July 3 it was 154.0. a loss of 1.7lbs.

There are way to many reasons why your weight can go up. Not the least of which is your monthly cycle if you're so affected.