importing date/weight CSV data into MyFitnessPal?

I've searched high and low but can't find how to move to MFP from another tracker.

Is this feature really not available, or am I just blind?

Thank you all!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Not sure I understand the questions, but so far I have always had my weight inputs syn up (used fitbit and garmin) if I put the info in MFP.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited January 2018
    A user can not import historical weight data from another program or app. You must enter historical weight data manually.
  • jodytek
    jodytek Posts: 1 Member
    I have been looking for similar features for calorie trackers. I am looking to take my data from Lose it, and move to new app. I can export from Lose It, but cannot find any apps that I can import that data too.
  • helgatheviking9
    helgatheviking9 Posts: 1 Member
    I have almost 3 years of weight data that I would like to import from a different app. MFP Team, any thoughts?
  • arrow113
    arrow113 Posts: 3 Member
    I've been on MFP since 2013. A time when data input was limited to weight and body measurements (chest, abs,...). As a workaround, I used chest for Fat%, abs for muscle %, and so on. Once MFP allowed users to define data they wanted to track, I asked multiple times to allow a data import so I could properly label a significant amount of historical data already in MFP. Not addressing this issue by 2020 is a real failure.
    Where does allowing data import stand as a feature MFP Developers?
  • ad2think
    ad2think Posts: 1 Member
    Just downloaded MFP, but if I can’t import my data, I will likely just stay with my other app. I’d love to hear if this is actually coming or not. Developers, what say you!?
  • cjrizzuto
    cjrizzuto Posts: 1 Member
    Has there been any response since July 23, 2020 to the questions regarding importing weight data into myfitnesspal?
  • maxim1
    maxim1 Posts: 10 Member
    I would assume it's about data management, governance and movement, storage costs why this feature is not being addressed. Most probable the business model does not accommodate the feature
  • HopWorks
    HopWorks Posts: 1 Member
    Hello Everyone,

I see absolutely no reason why importing data cannot be supported. It is not like additional storage would be needed since the data is stored already anyway. It's just a great option to avoid using the clunky manual entry web page. It would be so much easier to enter historical data into Excel, save as CSV, then import into MFP.

And Excel addicts like me write workbooks for everything in their lives. I prefer to write my own interfaces for data entry so I can design it to make the task easier. Especially to get around cumbersome data entry through a limited, simple web page like the phone app or the MFP site.

Support for importing data is a no-brainer and should not only be considered, but implemented ASAP. At least for me since continuing my subscription could be dependent on this missing feature. Especially considering the hefty annual subscription fee. There are so many positives about MFP that I cannot imagine a reason the feature is not available already.

Thanks
  • brightj47
    brightj47 Posts: 2 Member
    Any update on this? I know you can sync weight with other apps, but I'm not sure if it's persistent or if there's any other app that accepts .csv files
  • slsuser
    slsuser Posts: 1 Member
    I found this thread from web search and have the same question; How can I import meals I have consumed over a few years of history into MFP from a CSV ?

Question appears to be ignored for several years. I think a simple yes, no or we're working on it with a target date should not be that difficult to determine.

Answer is important for my decision to expand my usage of MFP onto the subscription model.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    This is a user forum. I think you should ask MFP with this specific question about importing food entries. I don't think this would work though because there's no guaratee to get the cooking ingredients or data you want to have. I mean, just do a search for Rice. You'll get very different database entries, some cooked, some uncooked, some with measurements in cups, others in grams, again others in serving. And some with completely wrong nutritional information. How would a simple CSV import make sure you get exactly the right thing?