how to get in more iron?

Options
I started tracking my iron on here bc i knew already that my iron count has been low in the past since my csection. I have a hard time meeting half of what I should be in-taking most days. How can I get more iron in? What kind of "clean eating" foods will help boost that up?

Replies

• DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    To boost the amount of iron in your diet, try these foods:

Red meat
    Egg yolks
    Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
    Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
    Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
    Turkey or chicken giblets
    Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    Liver
    Artichokes
    And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron.
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    I know most people here may not be big on it, but one packet of Cream of Wheat has 50% of your iron. I started eating it everday for that reason.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I don't know if greens powder is considered part of clean eating, but I know people add that to smoothies and it has a lot of iron in it. I just put it in gelatin capsules and take it that way since I think it tastes yucky, but you can mix it with water too if you don't want to use gelatin or milk. And definitely dark leafy greens and dried fruit. I've been eating a lot more dried fruit and it's helped with my iron. I love the list donm46 gave. Yay artichokes! They're still pretty easy to find right now so I'll have to pick up some more!