Recommendations // HIGH CALORIE VEGAN FOODS //

IHWJ
IHWJ Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
99msfxfmgk3k.jpg

Please comment below with some high calorie fruits and vegetables, ideally vegetables

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Vegans eat more than fruits than veggies... But to answer your question
    avocado
    coconut
    grapes
    cherries
    bananas
    dates
    mango
    potato
    corn
    peas
    beans

Other high calorie vegan foods
    olive oil, avocado oil, sesame oil, vegetable oil, coconut oil
    nuts
    nut butters
    sunflower seeds
    any other seeds
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    If all you're eating is fruits and vegetables, then you're going to struggle to get enough calories as well as enough protein and fat. Fruit and veggies are great, but vegans need nuts, legumes, or other protein sources as well.
  • IHWJ
    @apullum I meant to add grains too. Thank you
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Higher calorie fruits and vegetables: Avocado, coconut, banana, pineapple, grapes, potatoes/sweet potatoes, corn, peas. Dried fruits are also a good way to increase the number of calories in your diet if you want to do it through fruits -- the water is removed so the calories are concentrated in a smaller amount of food.

Other calorie-dense vegan foods: Grains, pasta, nuts, seeds, plant oils, chocolate (dark or made with plant milk), sweeteners like maple syrup, agave nectar, or sugar, vegan mayo and cheeses.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    IHWJ wrote: »
    @apullum I meant to add grains too. Thank you

Grains can be quite calorie dense. A cup of cooked rice, for example, is about 200 calories. But you definitely do need protein too! Some grains, like quinoa, have higher amounts of protein than other grains, but they don't provide nearly as much protein as tofu, tempeh, seitan, or other vegan options.

Try doing the grain+green+bean meal template, which is just what it sounds like: some grains, some veggies, and some protein, and maybe some sauce. This can be as simple as rice and beans with tomatoes, or you can get much more creative. You can also make it as high or low calorie as you want. Most of my dinners follow this template. Last night, for example, I made vegan beef and broccoli bowls: Gardein beef with hoisin sauce, broccoli, and rice. Grain, protein, green, sauce.

Here are some ideas that are vegan or easily made vegan: https://food52.com/blog/8182-a-grain-a-green-a-bean
  • fatvegan88
    fatvegan88 Posts: 71 Member
    Rice, pasta, nuts. Seriously I’m fat I don’t think eating enough calories has ever been a problem being vegan.
  • IHWJ
    Thanks everyone! This was really useful! Idk how a I feel about tofu tho... I need to read up on it, same with Tempeh. I've tried seitan... I know what it is so I feel more turned on by that cuz how it's made.

I have sooo much to learn !
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Vegans eat more than fruits than veggies...

What do you mean?
  • DisneyVeganLove
    DisneyVeganLove Posts: 112 Member
    Happy to help. Bring on your questions.
    https://www.webmd.com/diet/tc/vegan-diet-topic-overview#1