Losing weight too fast

Options
Hi all,
I’ve been on MyFitnessPal since May 2017. I set my weekly goal to lose 1lb a week. I have a hypothyroidism and I take iron and B-12 supplements with regular doctor visits every 3 months. When I started my weight loss journey I was expecting my weight loss would be really slow because of my thyroid issues, but to my surprise it’s been quicker than I expected. I’ve lost 60 pounds and I’m 10 pounds shy to my goal weight. I decided to change my weekly goal from 1lb a week to a half a pound to see if that help slow it down, my calorie allowance went from 1350 to 1600 and I’m still losing over a pound a week. Doctor told me my thyroid level was good and my iron an B-12 levels are maintained so I don’t know why I’m still losing so quickly.
Has anyone gone through something similar?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you went from 1350 to 1600? Slowing it down or rather reversing a faster rate of loss can take several weeks..

My question is are you exercising? If so are you staying consistence with the total calories burned in a day? The weight loss will slow down eventually as your body catches up to the newer increased intake.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at the higher calorie rate? When I up my calories, I give myself an extra 50 calories or so every other day, so that I'm slowly increasing. That's how I slid into maintenance last time. Your body doesn't have an instant response to changes, generally, and it make take 2-3 weeks for your rate to slow.
  • femmaggie
    femmaggie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It’s been 3 weeks that I’ve changed from 1lb to half a lb and going from 1350 to 1600 calories hasn’t helped slow down the weight loss. I rarely excersise and sit most of the day at work. I’ve thought about changing my goal to maintenance, but I still want to lose 10 lbs so I’m not sure if I should do that yet or wait until I reach my goal.
  • curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Up another 250 ish. My weight loss and gain are always on a delay
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    femmaggie wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I’ve been on MyFitnessPal since May 2017. I set my weekly goal to lose 1lb a week. I have a hypothyroidism and I take iron and B-12 supplements with regular doctor visits every 3 months. When I started my weight loss journey I was expecting my weight loss would be really slow because of my thyroid issues, but to my surprise it’s been quicker than I expected. I’ve lost 60 pounds and I’m 10 pounds shy to my goal weight. I decided to change my weekly goal from 1lb a week to a half a pound to see if that help slow it down, my calorie allowance went from 1350 to 1600 and I’m still losing over a pound a week. Doctor told me my thyroid level was good and my iron an B-12 levels are maintained so I don’t know why I’m still losing so quickly.

Your calorie target is just an estimate based on population statistics...if you know your average rate of loss, you don't need a calculator to give you a number...you just add back calories as per your own real world results.

If I wanted to lose 1 Lb per week and I was losing 1.5+ Lbs per week on average with whatever number a calculator gave me, I'd know that I need to add back at least 250 calories to get me to the desired rate of loss, despite what a calculator told me.

When I was first losing weight, I started with MFP's numbers...I was losing around 1.5-2 Lbs per week with the numbers MFP gave me...I watched it over the course of a month or so and then just manually customized my calorie targets per my actual results to make it about 1 Lb per week.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    Keep increasing till your trending weight app is showing an increase then back off.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,561 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Your B12 levels are maintained according to your doctor with a blood test that doesn't say whether your body has sufficient active B12 (there is no blood test for that). Thus your doctor unfortunately doesn't know what he's talking about. How do you feel? Do you think 3-monthly shots are enough for you? I'm asking because many people report rapid weight loss in a B12 patient group on facebook that are poorly treated. Once their treatment is optimal their weight loss stops (assuming they don't try to lose weight). I'm not saying that poor B12 levels are good for you; on the contrary as it leads to nerve damage that might be permanent if not treated properly.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    Yup, you'n'me both.

This may be helpful background info:

https://examine.com/nutrition/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/

I'm hypothyroid, too, plus pretty old (62), and maintain on around 40% more calories than MFP estimates (around 2200 instead of 1500 net). Lost "too fast" just like that, too, and had to adjust.

Trust your results, as others have described above, and don't worry about calculators.

Congratulations, you - like me - are on the happy side of the statistical variability. We get to eat more tasty, tasty food. There are people on the unhappy side of the averages, too, sadly.

Personally, I gradually increased calories 100-200 daily, waiting a week or more to settle out, when I wanted to change loss rate, guided by the "500 calories a day is a pound a week" rule. That worked fine.

Best wishes!
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It’s been 3 weeks that I’ve changed from 1lb to half a lb and going from 1350 to 1600 calories hasn’t helped slow down the weight loss. I rarely excersise and sit most of the day at work. I’ve thought about changing my goal to maintenance, but I still want to lose 10 lbs so I’m not sure if I should do that yet or wait until I reach my goal.

Maybe go to see your dr. Could you possibly be at risk of diabetes, hyperthyroidism, or other issues?