Haven't been to the gym in a month

Options
Over Christmas I was struggling to get over a cold so I wasn't able to workout. I was also just struggling to motivate myself over that time. I always find it difficult to motivate myself during the colder months.

I was trying so hard to go to the gym again, but now I have a cold yet again. I went to the gym on Monday thinking it was just a cough but every time I took a deep breath I had to cough and cardio was a nightmare.

I'm just really struggling to motivate myself lately because of it.

Replies

• need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    amyteacake wrote: »
    Over Christmas I was struggling to get over a cold so I wasn't able to workout. I was also just struggling to motivate myself over that time. I always find it difficult to motivate myself during the colder months.

I was trying so hard to go to the gym again, but now I have a cold yet again. I went to the gym on Monday thinking it was just a cough but every time I took a deep breath I had to cough and cardio was a nightmare.

Just rest and try to pin point why you keep getting sick? Are you lacking some nutrients? Do you have kiddos? Maybe start stocking up on some EmergenC so you don't get sick again!
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options

Just rest and try to pin point why you keep getting sick? Are you lacking some nutrients? Do you have kiddos? Maybe start stocking up on some EmergenC so you don't get sick again!

I'm not too sure what it is! I have so many cold and flu tablets in my house just in case. I don't have any kids but I'm at both work and college at the moment and few people have been ill there so I don't know if I've caught something from them or what.
  • RebeccaRNBSN
    RebeccaRNBSN Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    EmergenC is a scam please don't believe in that stuff. Our body can only digest 2000 grams of vitamin C a DAY, the rest comes out in your urine. Overdosing on it does absolutely nothing to your immune system.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Could you workout at home on days when you don't feel like going to the gym? Just do Youtube search for your favorite type of workout. That way, you can still be consistent. I did a super fun dance workout yesterday that made me forget that I was even working out.
  • need2belean
    Options

I'm not too sure what it is! I have so many cold and flu tablets in my house just in case. I don't have any kids but I'm at both work and college at the moment and few people have been ill there so I don't know if I've caught something from them or what.

I seriously recommend AirBorne or EmergenC. I some how managed to avoid the cold/flu and I go to work, gym, and have nephews who are constantly sick (*knock on wood*). EmergenC saves me every year. At the first sign of something coming on, I drink a full glass of that stuff.
  • need2belean
    Options

I seriously recommend AirBorne or EmergenC. I some how managed to avoid the cold/flu and I go to work, gym, and have nephews who are constantly sick (*knock on wood*). EmergenC saves me every year. At the first sign of something coming on, I drink a full glass of that stuff.
  • need2belean
    Options
    EmergenC is a scam please don't believe in that stuff. Our body can only digest 2000 grams of vitamin C a DAY, the rest comes out in your urine. Overdosing on it does absolutely nothing to your immune system.

It may be a scam but I take that stuff if I feel like I'm about to get sick. It has worked for me. It was just a suggestion.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, and will add winter is the time when there are many colds and things doing the rounds. You've got it tough having come down with another. I hope its not the consequence of the workplace martyr turning in because, its only a cold. If you could find someone to bring you the product mentioned above or vit C it may help to reduce some of the symptoms but unfortunately you may feel as poorly for the usual 5 to 10 days. Rest up for as long as it takes, go back to the gym only when breathing is much easier. Oh! once back on your feet, wash your hands more frequently than usual to remove as many germs as possible and also try not to put your hands to your face, this may help too.
  • molliencharlie
    molliencharlie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some Elderberry syrup!
    I don't have a gym or work out facility where I live, so I work out at home. There are a ton of YouTube videos that are free AND give you a great work out! That way if you are under the weather you can go at your own pace and cough up a lung without anyone watching. Hope this helps a little!
  • amyteacake
    Options
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    Could you workout at home on days when you don't feel like going to the gym? Just do Youtube search for your favorite type of workout. That way, you can still be consistent. I did a super fun dance workout yesterday that made me forget that I was even working out.

It isn't that I don't feel like going. It's because I have the cold that I'm unable to go and it's demotivating. Usually when I get the cold/flu it goes straight to my asthma making it difficult for me to breathe
  • amyteacake
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I agree with the above, and will add winter is the time when there are many colds and things doing the rounds. You've got it tough having come down with another. I hope its not the consequence of the workplace martyr turning in because, its only a cold. If you could find someone to bring you the product mentioned above or vit C it may help to reduce some of the symptoms but unfortunately you may feel as poorly for the usual 5 to 10 days. Rest up for as long as it takes, go back to the gym only when breathing is much easier. Oh! once back on your feet, wash your hands more frequently than usual to remove as many germs as possible and also try not to put your hands to your face, this may help too.

I always seem to get a cold or something whenever it goes around. Last year it was a chest infection to, knock wood, I just hope it's not that again. I am still going to work despite it, I'm on my feet in work and I don't want to call in sick since I only started a month ago.

I'm going to try and have some more vitamin C. Sadly, I can't have orange juice but I know there's other ways of getting it. I hate having dirty hands and I wash my hands constantly to get rid of germs, especially at work when I'm working with food or coffee grinds.
  • amyteacake
    Options
    Get yourself some Elderberry syrup!
    I don't have a gym or work out facility where I live, so I work out at home. There are a ton of YouTube videos that are free AND give you a great work out! That way if you are under the weather you can go at your own pace and cough up a lung without anyone watching. Hope this helps a little!

I don't know if we have Elderberry syrup here (I'm from the UK). I have quite a few honey and lemon things and they seem to have helped me so much. Monday and yesterday my cough was horrible and hurt my chest so much but today it isn't so bad!

I love working out in the gym since there's not a lot of space in my house, and I have a cat that will constantly get in the way haha
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options

It may be a scam but I take that stuff if I feel like I'm about to get sick. It has worked for me. It was just a suggestion.

I don't think they are scams. Like you, I take either Airborne or EmergenC at the first sign of a cold and it always helps. I, too, have escaped the major colds and viruses going around this year, thankfully.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I had just messaged a friend about some things I do to make it easier for me to go to the gym and I'll share them here:

I try to identify barriers and remove as many as possible. For example, I am married have three kids kids (6 and under) and one on the way. We are busy. So, I sat down and talked with my wife and found a time that works well for our family. So three weekdays I get up early and go workout. She gets the oldest ready for School and feeds him and I get back in time to take him to school. (no bus route)

Working out first thing also means I am making myself and my health a priority in my life. Making my health a priority and leading myself is actually a way I can make my family a priority and lead them as well.

I literally put my workouts on the calendar and do a weekly review to make sure that the scheduled workouts will work with what is going on that week.

The night before I make sure my gym bag is packed, wireless headphones are charged or charging, and I also lay out clothes for the next day.

When I wake up, I weigh, get dressed, drink 24 ounces of water, grab my backpack and go to the gym.

Having the backpack ready and my clothes laid out means I make less noise when others are sleeping and I'm out the door quicker, and in my sleepy fog in the morning I don't have to think about what to wear or if everything is packed in my gym back and I just grab and go.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Can you do some lighter cardio and body-weight training at home during the winter months? Obviously not if you're flat out ill, but times when you don't want to go because you're worried about passing on the cold but still feeling a little energetic?
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Your body needs some uninterrupted time to rest and heal itself. I know you don't want to take a sick day or two at work, but my guess is that you are entitled to them. I bet your employer would prefer you not subject your co-workers to possibly contracting your cold. You really do need to cut back somewhat. Especially if you don't want to miss any classes. I'd also recommend seeing your doctor. I thought I had a bad cold that just wouldn't go away. I actually had a bacterial lung infection and needed antibiotics. My husband once thought he was just zapped by a cold, and it turned out he had a low grade walking pneumonia. Take good care of yourself now, and you'll recover sooner and be able to get back to your workouts.
  • karexf44
    karexf44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. once i start cardio, the coughing starts. Do you have an inhaler? that may help.
  • amyteacake
    Options
    karexf44 wrote: »
    I have the same issue. once i start cardio, the coughing starts. Do you have an inhaler? that may help.

I do have an inhaler, both steroid and normal. It does help a little bit with a cold now so much
  • amyteacake
    Options
    Your body needs some uninterrupted time to rest and heal itself. I know you don't want to take a sick day or two at work, but my guess is that you are entitled to them. I bet your employer would prefer you not subject your co-workers to possibly contracting your cold. You really do need to cut back somewhat. Especially if you don't want to miss any classes. I'd also recommend seeing your doctor. I thought I had a bad cold that just wouldn't go away. I actually had a bacterial lung infection and needed antibiotics. My husband once thought he was just zapped by a cold, and it turned out he had a low grade walking pneumonia. Take good care of yourself now, and you'll recover sooner and be able to get back to your workouts.

I'll need to see how I feel over this weekend. I'm only working one day next week which isn't so bad.

There's a viral infection going around where I live just now and a lot of people have it. My dad has it as well, so did a few people in my work so it's most likely how I got it. It's the cough that's been driving me nuts mostly
  • rebben23
    rebben23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I thought I had the virus/ upper respiratory infection going around - lingering cough for two weeks and tight chest. I ended up in the ER with a pulmonary embolism. If it doesn’t go away or get better with rest, go get it checked!