Cardio vs weight training?

Options

Replies

• JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If you can't spell you are dumb too? Lose, not loose, healthy heart, not health heart, you're, not your, wasting, not waisting.
    Maybe you should educate yourself before educating others.

I know you now feel the need to insult me and pick up on spelling errors because you cant intelligently counter my points, so thats fine. But you can either make some valid points AGAINST the points I am making, and I will do my best to either counter your points or not. If I cant then I will admit that there are some benefits beyond CV health for cardio.

I strongly stand by my point. Cardio is pointless beyond improves CV health
  • JakeBrownVB
    Options
    You do realise that your 90 minute full body compound workout is cardiovascular exercise as well as strength, don't you? Unless you're planning on not breathing...

How people choose to increase their cardiovascular fitness is up to them. I do karate. That is quite an intense CV workout but it also strengthens muscles, especially core muscles. Are you saying karate is also pointless because it's cardio? Are you basically saying that anything other than your workout is pointless? That's what it sounds like to me.

Cardio is not pointless and I suspect you are just trolling for an argument with your ridiculous dictation of what people should or shouldn't do.

Yes I did say this earlier in the thread.. someone said I would keep over of a heart attack through doing no CV fitness. I then said that they were arrogant for believing Cardio is the only means of building CV fitness as full compound workouts may not be AS CV intensive but still gives you a decent CV fitness. Go back in the thread and read. NEXT POINT PLEASE! :D
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    vs... everyone tries to find the shortcuts.

AND
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Why's it always gotta be verses? Both.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This!!!
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    The only slight benefit cardio has is that it will increase your cardio vascular fitness.. but I couldnt really give 2 shts about that, im only here for the aesthetics.
    Jake - maybe when you are older and your relatives start keeling over from heart attacks & strokes you might just change your mind about the importance of CV health....
    Not hating on cardio, its just you can only be in a 500-800 max deficit anyway, so why waist time doing cardio when you could just eat less?

How about these reasons?:
    Nutrition
    Enjoyment
    Beer
    Bacon

OP - would suggest you do both cardio & strength for health, fitness and body composition. I'm not a fan of both cardio and strength in the same workout, one tends to compromise the other. Alternate days perhaps?

Dito
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Mainly because cardio in excess of 30 minutes will exhaust you from giving full effort towards your weight training. I often find people who do cardio dont give weights their full whack. Best of luck if you can manage that but I dont see it very often, especially on a cut!

Who said anything about doing weight training and excess of 30 minutes of cardio in the same workout session?

Most of us who have a balanced weight training/cardio program alternate days and have no issues with recovery whatsoever.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    Dito

30-40 minutes of nightmarish time consuming cardio just to have a beer or two. Doesnt seem worth it.

I thoroughly enjoy kickboxing. I'd hardly consider it "nightmarish." Beer was simply a funny example...but if I can literally enjoy an entire extra meal because I burned off 500 calories with my workout, THAT makes it worth it in addition to my improved endurance, flexibility, and CV health.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    You do realise that your 90 minute full body compound workout is cardiovascular exercise as well as strength, don't you? Unless you're planning on not breathing...

How people choose to increase their cardiovascular fitness is up to them. I do karate. That is quite an intense CV workout but it also strengthens muscles, especially core muscles. Are you saying karate is also pointless because it's cardio? Are you basically saying that anything other than your workout is pointless? That's what it sounds like to me.

Cardio is not pointless and I suspect you are just trolling for an argument with your ridiculous dictation of what people should or shouldn't do.

Yes I did say this earlier in the thread.. someone said I would keep over of a heart attack through doing no CV fitness. I then said that they were arrogant for believing Cardio is the only means of building CV fitness as full compound workouts may not be AS CV intensive but still gives you a decent CV fitness. Go back in the thread and read. NEXT POINT PLEASE! :D
    That might be what you meant but it's not what you said and not how I interpreted it (or others by the look of it!). This is far clearer and less open to interpretation. And I agree with it! Wish you'd been clearer the first time. It would have led to far less arguing if everyone understood what you meant rather than what you said :smile:

Cardio AND strength are important.
  • Lyadeia
    Options

Definitely this.

Cardio to add to your calorie deficit...weight training to make you look awesome once the fat is gone.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have ready some... let's say, exotic, points of views since being apart of the diverse MFP population but I am kind of surprised to see an actual "cardio hater." It...it doesn't make sense? ... I get not enjoying cardio...but hating? Deeming it pointless? Huh?
  • JakeBrownVB
    Options
    30-40 minutes of nightmarish time consuming cardio just to have a beer or two. Doesnt seem worth it.

I thoroughly enjoy kickboxing. I'd hardly consider it "nightmarish." Beer was simply a funny example...but if I can literally enjoy an entire extra meal because I burned off 500 calories with my workout, THAT makes it worth it in addition to my improved endurance, flexibility, and CV health.
    [/quote]

Then this is simply a difference of what we enjoy and I certaintly cant argue with that.
    Hate cardio and I see too many women waist themselves into oblivion on only muscles workouts. Nothing sexier than a women with some muscle tone.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    The only slight benefit cardio has is that it will increase your cardio vascular fitness.. but I couldnt really give 2 shts about that, im only here for the aesthetics.
    Jake - maybe when you are older and your relatives start keeling over from heart attacks & strokes you might just change your mind about the importance of CV health....
    Not hating on cardio, its just you can only be in a 500-800 max deficit anyway, so why waist time doing cardio when you could just eat less?

How about these reasons?:
    Nutrition
    Enjoyment
    Beer
    Bacon

OP - would suggest you do both cardio & strength for health, fitness and body composition. I'm not a fan of both cardio and strength in the same workout, one tends to compromise the other. Alternate days perhaps?

Dito

Also dito!

Find something that you enjoy and can stick with! I love lifting so do that, with plenty of walking, yoga and HIIT x3 a week.
  • JakeBrownVB
    Options
    Benefits of cardio- Cardio fitness, burn calories

Benefits of weights- Cardio fitness, burn calories, build/maintain muscles mass, sculpt body, increase caloric/maintain caloric requirements, increase strength

wheres the arguement again?
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Weights to retain muscle mass
    Cardio to create a deficit
    Eating below maintenance to create other half of deficit
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    Lots of cardio only = Skinny fat
    Lots of lifting only = muscle under fat.

For me its a mixture of both, alternate between the two. I cycle 10 miles a day 5 times a week so workouts revolve around lifting more than cardio. Heart health and that 'fit feeling' will only come from getting a decent sweat on. Guns and definition from lifting.

Depends on what your goals are :D
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Which one do you enjoy? Do that one
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I usually do cardio everyday, and weights everyday.

Cardio in a morning (usually) and always do weights at night before bed.

Works for me.
  • littlebee26
    Options
    Oh for goodness sake.....no one can open their mouths on this site without a tout going crazy!!! Chill out will you. He has an opinion. He expressed it. You obviously do not share that opinion. Get over it!! Sheeesh, such a bunch of over sensitive moaners!!!
  • littlebee26
    Options
    i've decided to report jake's post due to his foul language. i just don't think there's any reason to speak that way here.

Oh for goodness sake.....no one can open their mouths on this site without a tout going crazy!!! Chill out will you. He has an opinion. He expressed it. You obviously do not share that opinion. Get over it!! Sheeesh, such a bunch of over sensitive moaners!!!