I suck at running.

Options
So running isn't my main focus right now but I still try to run the track at my gym for 10-20 minutes as a worm up a few times a week. But wow am I horrible at it and have not seen any improvement whatsoever over the last few weeks.

I can only do one lap around the track at a very slow pace without stopping, and my leg muscles are just burning. I wear shoes I got from a running store that were recommended to me based on my gait, and I've even tried a couple other pairs with no difference. I used to me a more avid runner, I could run up to 4-5 miles at a time at my peak. Even when I was out of shape I could still squeeze out a mile before I had to walk for a bit.

So I don't know, am I just too old now? (I'm only 41) I've seen pretty good improvements in my strength training and other fitness levels recently, but I just can't run for the life of me. What the heck?

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Well, it's not your age. I'm 49 and did c25k last year, and now I can run 5 mi easily. There are people on the runner's thread here who are in their 60's.

Are your legs burning in any particular place? Are you out of breath? My first suggestion would be to find a running program and do it, but you want to be sure there's nothing mechanically wrong first. Something like a blood clot can sometimes be the culprit in a sudden loss of fitness.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using an app like couch to 5k? They help build endurance by doing intervals of walking and running.

Is it burning like, "Woo, good workout!" or is it a hot burning feeling? If the latter, see a doctor. A burning feeling in leg muscles could be nerve damage.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Which leg muscles are burning; calves or thighs? How strong is your core? If the core is weak the legs can take up the slack which is hard on them.

It doesn’t sound like there is a problem with your cardio system as you don’t mention being out of breath.

Try also the warmup on the treadmill at a steep angle to see if there is any difference. If you don’t get the same burning sensation there could be something about your gait that is putting a strain on your leg muscles.

A sports physiotherapist could get to the bottom of it.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Well, it's not your age. I'm 49 and did c25k last year, and now I can run 5 mi easily. There are people on the runner's thread here who are in their 60's.

Are your legs burning in any particular place? Are you out of breath? My first suggestion would be to find a running program and do it, but you want to be sure there's nothing mechanically wrong first. Something like a blood clot can sometimes be the culprit in a sudden loss of fitness.

I feel it mostly in my calves, I try to stretch them as much as I can. I also have some tightness in my lower back, hips, and hamstrings which I've also been working on. I am not out of breath, at first I was slightly but not so much anymore.

it could be mechanical, but I try to focus on my form the best I can. I may try a running program some day but right now I'm more focused on strength training. And I always walk and then run before my main workout. Hope it's not a blood clot.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Runing is HARD. Even if you think you're going slowly enough, you probably aren't. You should be able to speak and maintain a conversation while running - then you know you're actually going slow enough.

I really liked C25k, the interval method works nicely. Focus on slowly upping the distance, not speed. The speed will come naturally.

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Try running with a timer or stopwatch (use your phone). C25K starts with a short run-long walk repeat x 8 for the first week. So you could try run 1 minute walk 2 minutes and repeat for 6-8 reps and see if that improves for you. If that is too easy make the run interval slightly longer. To me it sounds like you're overdoing it.
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Have you tried using an app like couch to 5k? They help build endurance by doing intervals of walking and running.

Is it burning like, "Woo, good workout!" or is it a hot burning feeling? If the latter, see a doctor. A burning feeling in leg muscles could be nerve damage.

Nah it feels like just the regular "Feel the burn" from a workout. Just a bit more intense and after only a few minutes. Not sure what else I've done that could cause nerve damage.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    Roadie2000 wrote: »

I feel it mostly in my calves, I try to stretch them as much as I can. I also have some tightness in my lower back, hips, and hamstrings which I've also been working on. I am not out of breath, at first I was slightly but not so much anymore.

it could be mechanical, but I try to focus on my form the best I can. I may try a running program some day but right now I'm more focused on strength training. And I always walk and then run before my main workout. Hope it's not a blood clot.
    If you feel fine otherwise and the burn is equal in both legs, it doesn't sound like a blood clot or other cardio problem. Just throwing that out there since you say you used to be able to do more than you can currently.

Any chance your legs are just tired from strength training? I know two days after legs day, my hams are tight and feel terrible for the first mile running.
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Which leg muscles are burning; calves or thighs? How strong is your core? If the core is weak the legs can take up the slack which is hard on them.

It doesn’t sound like there is a problem with your cardio system as you don’t mention being out of breath.

Try also the warmup on the treadmill at a steep angle to see if there is any difference. If you don’t get the same burning sensation there could be something about your gait that is putting a strain on your leg muscles.

A sports physiotherapist could get to the bottom of it.

I work my core a lot and it's getting stronger but my running seems to stay the same. It's still not where it used to be though. I'll try out the treadmill and see if I notice a difference.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    How often are you running? If you are doing it less than 3 times a week, you aren't going to improve much. Try every other day for 30 minutes. I think you'll see more improvement. Don't worry if you have to do a mixture of walking and running. Eventually you'll be running more and walking less. But without consistency, you won't get much better.
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's your muscles warming up. The problem that I have which causes me to give up is shin splints. **major ouch!**
    I've bought compression sleeves for my legs and it's helped.
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    Roadie2000 wrote: »

If you feel fine otherwise and the burn is equal in both legs, it doesn't sound like a blood clot or other cardio problem. Just throwing that out there since you say you used to be able to do more than you can currently.

Any chance your legs are just tired from strength training? I know two days after legs day, my hams are tight and feel terrible for the first mile running.

Possibly, but seems like even after a rest day it's not a whole lot better.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Going to the basics: What kind of shoes are you wearing? Not sure that this would be an issue after just one lap, but if you do want to start running it would be a good idea to get a good set of kicks.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body is simply adjusting to new activity. Regardless of your previous experience your body doesn't maintain structures that aren't being used at the time. If you stopped running your body shuts down capillary beds. Once you start using these again your body needs time to provide energy, structures, etc. to support the new activity.

Ice down your legs after to ease the inflammation. Stretch your legs and massage them several times a day.

Take this slowly and see what happens.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    It's not age. I've got friends in their 50s and 60s who run sub-20 5ks.

Go slow. Roll the crap out of your calves. Possibly a sports-specific massage.
    It could be a lack of range of motion in your ankle, which is often caused just by tight calves
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    It sounds like your body is simply adjusting to new activity. Regardless of your previous experience your body doesn't maintain structures that aren't being used at the time. If you stopped running your body shuts down capillary beds. Once you start using these again your body needs time to provide energy, structures, etc. to support the new activity.

Ice down your legs after to ease the inflammation. Stretch your legs and massage them several times a day.

Take this slowly and see what happens.
    Advice based on current research is not to ice after running - it was found to slow recovery, not help it, and even the guy who invented the RICE protocol now says don't ice.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Are you gaining a lot of muscle?

muscle = weight, and that is more weight that you have to carry while running.

Are you doing strength training for your legs too?

If so, maybe your not recovering enough between leg workouts and running.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I just started running. I have gotten lots of great advice on this site about it. I get fatigued in my lower legs. I was just fitted for new running shoes at a running store. Turns out I was pronating which probably caused the fatigue. I ran on my new shoes today. I felt great. My legs felt great.
    Get really good shoes. Ones specifically for you. The other great advice I got was to take it slow. I run at 4.2 on the treadmill. I can run so much farther doing that. Once I build my stamina, I will increase my speed.

So the takeaway here is get good shoes and take it slow. And...be patient.
  • emmaboardman42
    emmaboardman42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was going to physio after my car accident and I was having issues with my Quads..I had no idea I was supposed to warm up for so long before I started jogging/running intervals. It makes a big difference..it's frustrating to have to walk for 10 minutes first but it works for me.
  • BecMarty14
    BecMarty14 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Some things to possibly try
    - different shoes
    - warm up specific for running
    https://www.runnersworld.com/the-body-shop/five-exercises-to-do-before-every-run