How often should I use a kettlebell and dumbbells?

Options
I have an exercise bike which I have been using for cardio but I wanted to start strength training too so I just bought my first kettlebell (8kg) and set of dumbbells (4kg each). As a beginner, how often should I use them and for what duration?

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I can speak to the Kettlebell part of your question. I would recommend picking up a copy of Enter the Kettlebell by Pavel. Pavel is responsible for bringing Kettlebell training to the US. He has intro level Kettlebell users practicing 4 times a week for no longer than 30 min. A good tool to use in conjunction with that is Sara Lurie's Iron Core Kettlebell. Her video is really inexpensive and she does a great job of breaking down the Kettlebell lifts and teaching them.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005FRWTSO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516218930&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=sarah+lurie+kettlebell&dpPl=1&dpID=414ROZIMQ1L&ref=plSrch
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004XIZK5K/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516219176&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=enter+the+kettlebell+book&dpPl=1&dpID=5165kouHBTL&ref=plSrch
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I like the above suggestions by jtalaskamom, but be careful and use proper form with the kettlebell. Even an 8 kg is quite heavy (assuming you're female) if you use it wrong. I did Kettlebell swings for roughly a year and didn't realize I was doing the form entirely wrong.

I've seen all sorts of recommendations. I bought a Bob Harper KB tape that was an hour and was completely assinine. I actually think it was 70 minutes. 70 minutes of KB work is just stupid. Start with the KB basics - the swing, I love pendulum deadlifts, goblet squats. I also don't love Turkish Get-ups because they are form intensive, but half get-ups are great. Just working on the ab portion keeping the shoulder packed (again, you have to be really careful). I love KBs and think they are way underutilized. My old gym had a 100 lb one and I loved to use that for deadlifts. I got stupid one day and thought I could do swings with it and threw out my back for a week. It's a lot of weight plus momentum, that's why you want to be smart with it.

If it's a lighter KB, also one arm military presses are great. One arm rows would be great too with the size you've got (might to a bit too heavy for the one arm presses though).

• AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Helpful advice from both of you, thanks.

I have seen a lot of videos which mention incorrect form when doing kettlebell swings - mainly doing squats when you should be doing hip hinges. I'm a bit confused about how to pack my shoulders though, I think I need to watch more videos!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    4kg is very little weight for the major muscle groups and won't get you very far. I would get a pair of adjustable dumbbells that go up to at least 10-12 kg each, with the potential to expand further. You can do more strength exercises with adjustable dumbbells than a kettlebell, which i personally would return.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    3x week 45 minutes is a great goal, but you might need to work up to that over time.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I can speak to the Kettlebell part of your question. I would recommend picking up a copy of Enter the Kettlebell by Pavel. Pavel is responsible for bringing Kettlebell training to the US. He has intro level Kettlebell users practicing 4 times a week for no longer than 30 min. A good tool to use in conjunction with that is Sara Lurie's Iron Core Kettlebell. Her video is really inexpensive and she does a great job of breaking down the Kettlebell lifts and teaching them.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005FRWTSO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516218930&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=sarah+lurie+kettlebell&dpPl=1&dpID=414ROZIMQ1L&ref=plSrch
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004XIZK5K/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516219176&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=enter+the+kettlebell+book&dpPl=1&dpID=5165kouHBTL&ref=plSrch

If you're starting from scratch, I'd suggest that if you can afford it get Simple and Sinister. It's the latest evolution of the program from ETK/RKC. But if you're on a budget, any of the three will do to start. Enter the Kettlebell, Russian Kettlebell Challenge, Simple and Sinister. The program is simple I could write it out here in under 100 words, but its the ancillary and accessory information about how to progress and cues for correct form that make the books worth getting.
  • ellieyusuf
    ellieyusuf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The kettlebell is my favourite piece of equipment! you really do have to be careful with the forms though. There are tonnes of good FREE videos on youtube for kettlebell workouts and the correct way to perform the moves. Bit of advice from me would be to practice the moves slowly in front of a mirror until you can be sure you're doing it right. Always keep your core tight (i think my husband hates it when i constantly shout this at him!).

I try and do my strength training 3 times a week and then do yoga in between.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    4kg is very little weight for the major muscle groups and won't get you very far. I would get a pair of adjustable dumbbells that go up to at least 10-12 kg each, with the potential to expand further. You can do more strength exercises with adjustable dumbbells than a kettlebell, which i personally would return.

Having used both extensively, I've gone from mostly dumbbell usage to mostly kettlebell usage. I would completely disagree with this statement. There's not a lot you can do with a DB that you can't do with a KB. On the other hand, many KB moves cannot be done with a DB.

There is nothing, in my opinion, as good as supersets with KBs. Deadly hard and effective. The main disadvantage of KBs is finding a gym with the variety necessary for each individual move. Many times it's very limited. Because the accessibility of the variety of DBs is there in every gym, perhaps that's what you mean.

Most everything can be done (to a certain extent) with 2 to 3 sizes of KBs and they last forever. I have a 20 lb adjustable, another adjustable up to 50 and a powder coated 25 kg one (53 lbs). For a female starting out, I'd just get a 20 lb adjustable one.