are fitness trackers all they're hyped up to be?

Options

Replies

• jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I had one for about five years, and I've recently upgraded to the Apple Watch. I'm more motivated by the Apple Watch and the little digital badges they offer over the FitBit. I also like that I can track different types of activities because I'm mostly a swimmer when it comes to my physical activity, so tracking laps is important to me. Another brand I tried for tracking laps, which is less expensive than FitBit is Misfit, which offers a number of step trackers for a variety of price points down to $9.99.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    They're not for everyone. As others have said, if you like gadgets and numbers and spreadsheets, you might find one useful. I loved my FitBit and now I love my Apple Watch, although the latter is useful for more than just fitness. Many of them also have social elements that might be motivating for some - my husband and sister both get a notification when I finish a workout or close my rings (Apple's daily goals for moving, exercise, and standing) and vice versa. Both of them have said that they've found this helpful for them, although it isn't as much of a thing for me.
  • misskitty2018
    misskitty2018 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    jaymijones wrote: »
    I love mine. I use it mostly for motivation. It’s a great way to keep an eye on my overall fitness, daily activity levels, and approximate calorie expenditure. But ultimately I understand that it’s an imperfect tool and not the only one I use.

I’ve been using one for almost a year, and it’s really helped me stay focused on my goals.

thank you for taking the time to answer ;) good info
  • misskitty2018
    Options
    It's a tool, like any other. If it helps to keep you motivated then it's worth it. The FitBit Zip is cheap and lets me "compete" with my friends. So yeah, totally worth it for me.

I haven't heard of the zip..thanks for the info ;)
  • misskitty2018
    edited January 2018
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    neicy65 wrote: »
    I have lost 19 pounds using the Garmin Fenix 5 along with their scale (got the scale for Christmas) and Fitness Pal. For me, it is a big heck yea! I am a visal person, so I love all the data and how it all works together.

Like @EddieHaskell97 said, it's just a tool; you lost weight because you were in a caloric deficit, not because of the device. If it helps the user move a little more and stay accountable to their goals, then sure. Just don't expect it to magically move the scale.

Be nice, please.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you're using it for and if you're using it. I got mine primarily to help monitor my heart rate and anxiety levels, the step counter is an added benefit for me, but I do not religiously try to get a certain number of steps per day.
  • misskitty2018
    Options
    Next month will mark my 4 year anniversary with Fitbit, and it's definitely helped me accomplish my goals! I love having all of the stats at my fingertips, from weight/sleep/resting heart rate/steps taken/etc. And it syncs to MFP so I don't have to do anything beyond wear it while I go about my life.

oh wow! thanks for all the info ;)
  • misskitty2018
    Options
    muffle1969 wrote: »
    I got a Fitbit Blaze for my birthday not long ago, and it has been great for me. However, I'm a little OCD. I've used MyFitnessPal every single day for 375 days, logged every single meal and activity, and lost 55 pounds. I actually look at the reports and pay attention to macros. I hooked the Blaze up to MFP, and I appreciate the more accurate calorie tracking. In addition, I find myself wandering around my house to get additional steps to make Blaze reward me with the happy displays. I know, I'm a nerd. But I'm a data-driven, OCD nerd, and this works for me. So if you are motivated by stuff like this, it might help you out too. I wish you the best of luck!

sounds like a keeper for you. thanks for the info ;)
  • misskitty2018
    Options
    I have a Garmin and it definately helps motivate me. I started off a year ago with a goal.of 10k steps, now my average for the last month is over 19,000 steps and I haven't had a day under 12,000 steps for over 6 months. I dont want to lose my streak, so keep going.

omg! so dedicated ;) thanks for sharing
  • misskitty2018
    Options
    jessetfan wrote: »
    I had one for about five years, and I've recently upgraded to the Apple Watch. I'm more motivated by the Apple Watch and the little digital badges they offer over the FitBit. I also like that I can track different types of activities because I'm mostly a swimmer when it comes to my physical activity, so tracking laps is important to me. Another brand I tried for tracking laps, which is less expensive than FitBit is Misfit, which offers a number of step trackers for a variety of price points down to $9.99.

I've been reading about that misfit...sounds like my price range ;) thanks!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It has been worth far more than the price I paid for my FB One, to keep me moving. I just hit 20 million steps for about 3 1/2 years. I estimated that previously it would have taken me 15-20 years to get that amount of steps. It is a big motivator/accountability tool. Certainly this is not the only thing I've done to improve my health, but it has been a very important tool.

As for you, I guess it depends on what your expectations are. Putting on a FB will not "make" you lose weight.
  • Jushere018
    Jushere018 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR and love it. It has a continuous HRM and calculates calories burned 24 hours per day and calculates performance metrics, counts steps and stairs ascended, has GPS, tracks sleep, has an altimeter, barometer, and temp sensor, is waterproof to 100m so you can track swims, integrates with your phone through Bluetooth, and a lot of other functions. It has a long battery life and the associated phone app is easy to use. It also has customizable watch faces and you can change watch bands so it can coordinate with pretty much anything you wear (at work, social events, etc.)

I think that exercise data keeps fitness interesting, I love seeing my stats after a workout, and yeah, if I didn't measure it digitally then it never happened...
    Haha! Same for me. My FitBit broke, and I haven’t bought a new one yet. I feel like if it’s not on the Fitbit, I never did it
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of people (friends, family, etc) that use them and it helps keep them active. When I first started out I used one just to start "moving" more and getting an idea of how "active" I really was. It was a good tool to get me on the track to beginning my fitness journey. I haven't used one lately, but it has crossed my mind when I have been unable to lift due to injuries, life etc...just to have on hand so that I know my activity levels are not too low even if I can't workout as I would like to. I think if they help motivate you and get you moving...then go for it.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I personally don’t understand the appeal of step trackers like Fitbits and the like. Maybe it’s because I’ve always been active and walk through everywhere, but tracking steps seems kind of pointless to me and doesn’t provide me any motivation.

That said, if you run or bike regularly, GPS watches are absolutely all they’re hyped up to be if you want to keep track of your runs or rides and don’t want to have to bring your phone everywhere. I love my Garmin.
  • misskitty2018
    Options
    Jushere018 wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR and love it. It has a continuous HRM and calculates calories burned 24 hours per day and calculates performance metrics, counts steps and stairs ascended, has GPS, tracks sleep, has an altimeter, barometer, and temp sensor, is waterproof to 100m so you can track swims, integrates with your phone through Bluetooth, and a lot of other functions. It has a long battery life and the associated phone app is easy to use. It also has customizable watch faces and you can change watch bands so it can coordinate with pretty much anything you wear (at work, social events, etc.)

I think that exercise data keeps fitness interesting, I love seeing my stats after a workout, and yeah, if I didn't measure it digitally then it never happened...
    Haha! Same for me. My FitBit broke, and I haven’t bought a new one yet. I feel like if it’s not on the Fitbit, I never did it

You really are into this! Sounds like something I might like too! Thanks ;)
  • akionabr
    akionabr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wish I had bought one sooner. It is literally one of the best purchases I have ever made.
  • jm1420
    jm1420 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. It definitely keeps me focused and has increased my "stepping". My friends and I do challenges all the time and are very competitive with it. I average about 16,000 to 20,000 steps daily and feel king of naked without it. It pushes me to hike, run, walk more. I didn't want something with all the bells and whistles. Just something to motivate me to move more.