Meat calories, raw / cooked weight

Options
When the nutritional information for a (for example) 100g pork Chop 'as sold', is 199 calories. Say my raw pork Chop weight is 100g..... when I grill that pork Chop, and it loses weight, is it STILL 199 calories, providing I haven't added oil or anything to the equation?
And conversely, if I pan fried in a tablespoon of oil, is it 199 calories plus the oil calories?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    lovetta88 wrote: »
    When the nutritional information for a (for example) 100g pork Chop 'as sold', is 199 calories. Say my raw pork Chop weight is 100g..... when I grill that pork Chop, and it loses weight, is it STILL 199 calories, providing I haven't added oil or anything to the equation?
    And conversely, if I pan fried in a tablespoon of oil, is it 199 calories plus the oil calories?

It doesn't lose calories from cooking...it weighs less because water/moisture gets cooked off. If you fried it in oil there would be some calories for the oil, but that's very difficult to determine.
  • mariam_uteem
    mariam_uteem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would normally measure the amount of oil you fry it in and count it from there. So normally I'd use 1 tsp of olive oil on a good nonstick pan. Hope this hrlos
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Weigh the raw meat and use that entry.
    There's enough oil in the fat from the pork itself so there's no need to add any oil, especially if you use a non stick pan.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    lovetta88 wrote: »

It doesn't lose calories from cooking...it weighs less because water/moisture gets cooked off. If you fried it in oil there would be some calories for the oil, but that's very difficult to determine.

Actually, as far as net calories goes, those that can be absorbed, cooking increases the calories your body can actually access. This is one reason why we developed large brains because our hominid ancestors started cooking and that allowed for better energy absorption from food.

Ok, nothing to do with the way you should be logging food but it is a fun fact.