Snack ideas

Options
I'm struggling to get near my calorie goal of losing 1lb per week. Generally i am short of time at breakfast so either eat cereal or toast with peanut butter and fruit and lunch time is a sandwich or soup with bread and cheese. Dinner is a freshly cooked family meal. What I'm struggling with is choosing a variety of snacks to up my calories without them being sweet treats or more fruit. Any suggestions?

Replies

• JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You're asking how to get enough calories, instead of how to avoid getting to many? Nuts, veggies with humus, and protein bars are all healthy snacks which will also give you a protein boost. Protein shakes and green smoothies are another good option.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, you want to eat less, not more. Your diet sounds great. Stick to that. Monitor your weight, and how you feel, over a few weeks. If you feel tired or lethargic, and you lose faster than expected, then eat more at mealtime. If you feel fine, and lose as expected, don't change anything.
  • elziethom
    elziethom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I re read my post and didn't make it clear that I'm way below my calorie goal not above. But you've given me some great ideas. Thank you
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Make sure your logging is on point too, before you add more food :) Way too easy to eat more than you think, especially if you like food.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If I have to snack on “something”, I always opt for something with healthy fat. It’s the only thing that will satisfy me and goes a long way. 1oz of almonds, a single serve cashew pack, 1oz cheese square, ... sometimes I will even add a dymatize elite choc shake mixed with water *with* that fat serving. I avoid anything sweet when snacking, it just leaves me craving more.
  • sarahmcdjane
    sarahmcdjane Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I’m needing a healthy snake I go for a high protein yoghurt with fruit, can of mackerel, or rice cakes. All are ok when you are watching your weight
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have almonds every day, usually 15-18 grams (I'm on a big Coco roasted almond kick right now) as well as some Greek yogurt, or a protein bar. If I'm still feeling peckish I add a piece of fruit, but rarely.