Coconut Milk?

Options
I am wanting to make a batch of tomato/orange soup. Instead of using half and half or heavy cream, I would like to substitute canned coconut milk or coconut cream. However, I am finding a wide range of fat and calorie amount per can. Basically, I want it to add flavor and give the soup the richness that cream would give it, but without so much fat and calories. I have seen coconut milk ranging from 45 calories a cup to 120 calories for 0.2 cup. I guess, I will just read the cans. I just wondered if anyone can shed a little light on substituting coconut milk for cream.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of recipes out there, it's a thing. You could try a couple of them to see for yourself how well coconut milk substitutes for cream or half and half.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-soup-coconut-milk

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Canned coconut milk substitutes well for cream in things, IMO, and the lite works okay (the canned, not the beverage, it's still high-ish calorie). The thing is it has a particular taste and I am not sure it would go, for me, with how I think tomato soup should taste, as I am used to it in Asian cuisine and sweet stuff.

But totally worth a try!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Coconut milk works great with tomato. It's the fat that gives the flavor and mouthfeel, so you have to weigh it, literally and figuratively, and eat an appropriate amount, based on your needs and what else you want to eat.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk is worth the calories imo, it just adds so much lovely flavour to curries/sauces.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I am wanting to make a batch of tomato/orange soup. Instead of using half and half or heavy cream, I would like to substitute canned coconut milk or coconut cream. However, I am finding a wide range of fat and calorie amount per can. Basically, I want it to add flavor and give the soup the richness that cream would give it, but without so much fat and calories. I have seen coconut milk ranging from 45 calories a cup to 120 calories for 0.2 cup. I guess, I will just read the cans. I just wondered if anyone can shed a little light on substituting coconut milk for cream.

Ok why??? why make your life more difficult than it has to be? Unless you cant do dairy, why make your life more difficult?

I agree.. and I tend to aim for dairy based products due to their protein content and they taste better IMO.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Just be aware that canned coconut milk, while very delicious, has a distinct taste of its own and is going to drastically change the taste of your soup. If this is what you are going for, give it a try, but if you are just trying to substitute it hoping for a similar taste, that's not how it will work (apologies if you already realize this, but it;'s hard to tell from your post).

Also, with regards to "light" canned coconut milk, it's just coconut milk and water. Given the relatively expensive price (at least in the US), I would not waste my money. If you want to reduce the calories, just use half of a can along with an equal amount of water and freeze the rest (note that it separates in the can so you will have to pour it out and mix it first).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're going to find a whole lot of difference between using coconut cream vs dairy cream in regards to fat and calories...coconut cream is mostly fat just like dairy cream is mostly fat. They do make light versions of coconut cream and they're just ok IMO.

I use coconut cream when I'm making something that calls for that flavor...like this coconut curried lentils and potato thing I do. I don't sub it for nutritional purposes because there's not a whole lot of difference.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Just be aware that canned coconut milk, while very delicious, has a distinct taste of its own and is going to drastically change the taste of your soup. If this is what you are going for, give it a try, but if you are just trying to substitute it hoping for a similar taste, that's not how it will work (apologies if you already realize this, but it;'s hard to tell from your post).

Also, with regards to "light" canned coconut milk, it's just coconut milk and water. Given the relatively expensive price (at least in the US), I would not waste my money. If you want to reduce the calories, just use half of a can along with an equal amount of water and freeze the rest (note that it separates in the can so you will have to pour it out and mix it first).

This. I love tomato soup with coconut milk in it, but I'm a coconut fanatic. I adore the taste and I've never had it in anything and disliked it. It doesn't have the neutral taste of cream. If I wanted a more neutral-tasting dairy-free substitute for cream, I would use cashew cream (made with unroasted cashews, it doesn't have a distinctive cashew taste and is a much better mimic for dairy cream IMO).
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! There is a variety of opinions here. I do realize that the taste will be altered, but then the presence of orange in the soup alters the taste. When it's all said and done, what matters is that I like the taste...and I normally love adding coconut milk to things. I am going to give it a shot and see how it tastes. I'm going with plain canned coconut milk to replace heavy cream. Not quite the richness, but quite a savings in fat and calories. If it isn't all that good, I will chalk it up to a learning experience. We are not vegan, but we are making a concentrated effort to reduce fats and animal products. Not eliminate, but just want to be more mindful and increase the plant-based foods. Thanks for the info!!