Am I on the right lines?

Options
Hi

I joined MFP on 16 July. Prior to this, I exercised regularly (I run 3 times a week), but my eating was my main issue. I am 5'4 and currently weigh 173lbs. Within my first week, I lost 5lbs (I was 178lbs) but since this initial loss, I've got stuck! I've opened my food diary so any advice would be helpful. I'm getting a bit frustrated that I'm logging everything, and i've increased my exercise to include a strengthening training session once and week, plus a full on zumba class to improve my fitness further.

This week, I have started a structured training programme for a 10k run which will be a massive accomplishment for me. I'm on week one and have exercised every day this week. I have one day a week off (which is tonight!).

I am getting married at the end of November and even though I don't look massive, I want to lose at least 1-1.5 stone, which I know is achievable but I don't know why I've lost only 5lbs and then nothing. Is it down to my increased exercise? Am I eating the wrong things? I really just want to know if I'm on the right track.

Any advice would be welcome.

thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    How much calories do you eat a day? When this is too low your weight can stall as well. Did you calculate your BMR?
  • NicksWTB
    NicksWTB Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 a day. I don't always eat all of my 'exercise' calories as I tend to exercise in the evenings. This will sounds really stupid - what is BMR?
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    I eat 1200 a day. I don't always eat all of my 'exercise' calories as I tend to exercise in the evenings. This will sounds really stupid - what is BMR?

I just checked your diary and see today it is 1200, but before it was higher? You just changed it? 1200 is very low and I suspect you should eat at least between 1500 and 1700 calories a day. You said you increased your exercises? Have you also measured yourself?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

with the amount of exercise you're doing, eat back all your exercise cals!

also, is MFP giving you 1200 based on losing 1lb per week?
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    BMR is what the body needs in calories to maintian itself, no matter what you do (Basal Metabolic Rate) Maybe you try this link:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • NicksWTB
    Options
    MFP gave me 1200 based on wanting to lose 1-2lbs a week. I haven't changed it, I've been sticking to 1200 since I started with MFP.

I haven't measured myself, but I will do as I have to admit my clothes feel a bit looser even though the scales aren't moving, so I may have lost inches.

Should I increase my daily calories to 1500 and see how it goes?

thanks for your advice - it's much appreciated.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    I don't know what kind of exercises you do, but it could well be you lost fat and gained muscle. Last week I also didn't loose anything, in fact I gained a bit, still my arms and neck were half an inch down and the rest the same. You say your clothes are looser, that is an indication your have lost something and your diet is not stalling at all, but 1200 calories is still too low. Did you also notice when you fill in your exercise diary the amount of calories in your food diary ( daily goal at the bottom) is increasing?
  • NicksWTB
    Options
    I've just checked on BMR link (thank you!) and it's calculated I should have 2634 calories a day!!! This seems really high!!

Yes, when I exercise the daily goal increases. My exercise regime is I run approximately 3 miles 4 times a week; I do a zumba class once a week, and a strength type training once a week - this is squats, lunges, work with a resistance band, stomach crunches, push ups etc etc. I thought it would be better to mix up my fitness instead of doing the same thing every day.

I've cut out all the fattening foods like biscuits (my downfall!!), chocolate, crisps, most bread, but have kept good carbs in my diet and try to eat sensibly reducing my portion sizes.

I'm hoping if I carry on trying, something will give!!!
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Wow that is quite an amount of exercise you do with only 1200 calories a day. Way, way too low! Try first with something like 1600-1800 calories instead! and with no doubt you are gaining muscle instead. They say muscle tissue weigh heavier then fat. I wouldn't look to the scale too much, just measure yourself once or twice a month and just believe what your clothes are telling you!
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Wow that is quite an amount of exercise you do with only 1200 calories a day. Way, way too low! Try first with something like 1600-1800 calories instead! and with no doubt you are gaining muscle instead. They say muscle tissue weigh heavier then fat. I wouldn't look to the scale too much, just measure yourself once or twice a month and just believe what your clothes are telling you!

Hmz maybe 1800 would still be too low, but in that I am no expert...
  • NicksWTB
    Options
    thanks for this. I will measure myself in the morning before my run and keep off the scales. I'll also increase my calorie intake to 1600.

thank you for helping me, I was unsure whether I was on the right lines - very much appreciated indeed!
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    No thanks! Even though I think closer to 2000 would be better even. But many people still believe the way of loosing weight is eat less and exercise more. It just doesn't work like that. Hope you succeed with your goal and look smashing on your wedding day!
  • NicksWTB
    Options
    No thanks! Even though I think closer to 2000 would be better even. But many people still believe the way of loosing weight is eat less and exercise more. It just doesn't work like that. Hope you succeed with your goal and look smashing on your wedding day!

thank you, that's so kind xx