I scanned my Gevalia Kaffee house blend coffee and got a surprising result.

Options
So I stared tracking my calories again after getting off track. My question is I have always assumed my coffee (home brewed) had no calories just the half and half I add to it.

However, I was a bit perplexed when I scanned my house blend medium roast Gevalia coffee and got 30 calories for 8oz. What! So if that is true how would I add my servings? 8oz cups of coffee or 8 oz of dry coffee. I apologize if this is more obvious than I can tell. Thanks!!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Coffee has minimal calories... I'd just log what you add to it to be honest
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Did you check against the packaging? Scanning doesn't guarantee an accurate database entry. (I don't drink coffee, so no idea on calories in it!)
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    8 oz would indicate “as prepared”, I think. Definitely check the nutrition label for calories and ingredients. Coffee has minimal calories, but that presumes nothing’s been adde during manufacture.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Coffee has minimal calories.
  • tlmorris75
    tlmorris75 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I did not see a nutrition label on the packaging just ingredients; 100% Arabica coffee.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    tlmorris75 wrote: »
    There is no nutrition label on the packaging just ingredients; 100% Arabica coffee.

Then that 30 calories is surely inaccurate. Just go with a generic black coffee listing in the database. Or don’t bother logging it. It should be in the range of 2-5.
  • tlmorris75
    tlmorris75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I use the entry MFP imported a long time ago from the USDA database. It has 2 Cals (plus data for potassium that other entries lack).

Search for "coffee brewed from grounds."

wybubg013h3g.jpg
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The database is user created, and there are sometimes multiple entries for the same thing and mistakes as well. Unless it was a pre-packaged gevalia coffee with some sweetener or milk added, it definitely doesn't have 30 cal.
  • tammyianderson
    tammyianderson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I believe Gevalia’s cold brew coffee that’s ready to drink has 30 calories per 8 oz serving. Fresh brewed from grounds doesn’t usually.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    When you scan something, it searches for an entry that matches in the MFP database. Since plain coffee is practically zero calories, it's possible the plain coffee grounds were never entered into the database, and the closest entry MFP could find was one that a user entered to include whatever they were personally adding to their cuppa. :drinker:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Did you check against the packaging? Scanning doesn't guarantee an accurate database entry. (I don't drink coffee, so no idea on calories in it!)

This was my thought too. I'd bet someone created an entry for prepared. I wouldn't log it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    According to the following webpage showing the nutritional facts for Gevalia Traditional Roast coffee, 1 cup contains 1 calorie:

https://www.nutritionix.com/i/gevalia-kaffe/traditional-roast-ground-coffee/5435485f2334707064aaff49

The links to webpages for other plain Gevalia coffees show the same.
  • fatal_degree
    fatal_degree Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wondered this too. I assumed if I ate the beans then the calories would be higher, but just drinking steeped liquid should be negligible.

I too have been stagnant at 1200 cal a day. Hiw long have you been at it and how much do you have to lose?