I need some suggestions.

Options
I have done this so many times and I always gain the weight back. I am a stress eater and something always derails me. I am motivated to work out but not sure I have the right plan. It's the eating that I struggle with. I snack a lot. Not just junk food but I am always eating. I want to loose 30 pounds. My questions are:

1. If I work out 5 days a week what do you recommend? Right now I lift weights 3x for about 40 a week and do cardio 2x a week for 40-45 minutes. I stretch every day for 15 minutes.

2. How do you curb the snacking?

Thanks so much for the help,
Candie

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options

I want to loose 30 pounds. My questions are:

1. If I work out 5 days a week what do you recommend? Right now I lift weights 3x for about 40 a week and do cardio 2x a week for 40-45 minutes. I stretch every day for 15 minutes.

2. How do you curb the snacking?

Thanks so much for the help,
    Candie

1. What do we recommend for what? You are already doing a decent mix of weights and cardio which is good for your health, however for weight loss you need to focus on what you're doing in the kitchen, not in the gym.

2. If you're as active as you've stated, there is no reason why you need to curb snacking to be honest, you say you keep gaining the weight back, which implies you keep making changes you can't sustain. If you like snacking, find a way to work it into your calorie allowance, pre-log your day allowing for a couple of hundred calories for snacks and prep your snacks in advance so they are portion controlled.

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    For how to curb snacking - work out why you snack.

Are you bored? Do something else with your hands and mind.

Are you hungry? Adjust your intake so that you eat foods at mealtimes that satiate.

Are you stressed? Learn to deal with stress in other ways like meditation, yoga or counselling.

Until you learn why you snack you won’t change your habits.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Can't help you with the exercise, but the food part is easy enough - you can have meals and snacks or just meals, or graze all day, but if you want to lose weight, you have to eat less, and if you find that snacking has taken up too much calories, it's smart to cut back. The most effective way is probably to schedule meals (and snacks). No eating when it's not time to eat. This doesn't work if it makes you feel deprived. So plan meals/snacks you look forward to. Then it's worth the wait. Then you have to work on your mindset. If you think of yourself as a stress eater, you will stress eat in spite of all good intentions and wonderful plans. You can tell yourself you're no longer a stress eater. Oh, and something will always try to derail you.