For the people who eliminated sugar from your diet, how did you do it?

Options
124»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    “Sugar is sugar” is total bull. Ask a diabetic or a doctor who researches insulin response. It’s well documented and has been uncontroversial for decades.

Whether that difference matters for weight loss is a different question.

Insulin response to different foods is not about types of sugar. It is a matter of fiber content and other differences between foods.
    The reason a cookie spikes glucose/insulin faster than a piece of fruit is due to the fiber in the fruit slowing absorption. The sugar itself is the same chemical substance and will still be processed the same way, just more slowly because, again, fiber slows absorption.
    Funny thing - medical studies don’t agree with you.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9881888/

You clearly didn't understand what that study was about.
    In that study, they compared the insulin and blood glucose response of taking straight glucose vs straight fructose vs a combo of glucose and fructose vs a portion of white bread.

Their findings showed that straight glucose had a greater impact than white bread which is perfectly in line with what I said above, considering that the fiber (and more complex carbs) in bread would result in a slower absorption rate than straight glucose.
    No joke. And fructose has a different absorption rate than glucose. You ignored that.

Why do you think this is important, given that we pretty much always consume a mix of fructose and glucose when consuming sugar?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    “Sugar is sugar” is total bull. Ask a diabetic or a doctor who researches insulin response. It’s well documented and has been uncontroversial for decades.

Whether that difference matters for weight loss is a different question.

Insulin response to different foods is not about types of sugar. It is a matter of fiber content and other differences between foods.
    The reason a cookie spikes glucose/insulin faster than a piece of fruit is due to the fiber in the fruit slowing absorption. The sugar itself is the same chemical substance and will still be processed the same way, just more slowly because, again, fiber slows absorption.
    Funny thing - medical studies don’t agree with you.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9881888/

You clearly didn't understand what that study was about.
    In that study, they compared the insulin and blood glucose response of taking straight glucose vs straight fructose vs a combo of glucose and fructose vs a portion of white bread.

Their findings showed that straight glucose had a greater impact than white bread which is perfectly in line with what I said above, considering that the fiber (and more complex carbs) in bread would result in a slower absorption rate than straight glucose.
    No joke. And fructose has a different absorption rate than glucose. You ignored that.

I didn’t ignore that. It has no relevance to the question of whether added sugar (which contains both fructose and glucose) has a different impact on insulin than intrinsic sugar (which contains both fructose and glucose).
    Glucose is glucose. Fructose is fructose. Regardless if the source is a cookie or an orange.
  • gorditalindaz
    gorditalindaz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I cut out sugar, I try to stay at 20 net carbs or so. that's carbs from nuts or vegetables, low sugar fruits. I avoid the simple sugars that would spike my blood sugar such as sugar, honey, pineapples, -- different sources but still same effect. I use stevia and other sweeteners that don't affect my blood sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I cut out sugar, I try to stay at 20 net carbs or so. that's carbs from nuts or vegetables, low sugar fruits. I avoid the simple sugars that would spike my blood sugar such as sugar, honey, pineapples, -- different sources but still same effect. I use stevia and other sweeteners that don't affect my blood sugar.

So you still consume some sugar. (OP was specifically asking about sugar from veg and fruits.)

One of my better (as I define it) days last week involved nearly 30 g of sugar from just vegetables (a huge amount), mushrooms, and plain beans. When I add in the sugar from an orange, some cherries, and some cranberries (all of which I had that day), I was quite a bit higher than that (without added sugar), and I see no reason why that day would have been worse, from a nutrient perspective, if I'd had less sugar.

I am also not overly worried about my blood sugar, it's fine, and I think eating a healthy, nutrient dense diet with a mix of macros and lots of fiber (I had 75 g that day, which seems crazy, but that's beans!) is probably going to keep blood sugar fine in the vast majority of people (excepting those with T1D, of course, who may still need other help).