Rule of thumb when sick and exercising

Options
Seems like i am in the beginnings of something. Sore throat came on yesterday and now have i believe post nasal drip.

My general routine is to ride my peloton and weights.

is it cool to ride since i dont have no fever?

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    You're fine as long as you feel up to it. Don't force it if you should start to feel under the weather. If you think you're contagious, you might want to avoid the gym.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    You're fine as long as you feel up to it. Don't force it if you should start to feel under the weather. If you think you're contagious, you might want to avoid the gym.

i workout at home so i think i am good.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I usually follow the old rule - symptoms above the neck, fine to work out; symptoms below the neck, probably best to take a break. As long as my energy is good, I find that advice works pretty well. I would add to that, I never workout if the problem is gastrointestinal! Just trust me there...

Also, since I work out at a gym, I consider my risk to others. I pass on workouts if I'm likely to spread my pestilence.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My general rule of thumb is to rest and get better when I'm sick. If it's just a case of the sniffles, that's one thing...but if I have a sore throat, major sinus stuff going on, coughing, etc I rest...I'd rather just get better vs prolonging the illness and stressing my body out more.

I have a little case of the sniffles at the moment...but it's basically just that...runny nose and some sneezing, so it's no big deal. If I'm feeling to the point where I wouldn't go to work, I'm not working out either...sore throat for me usually means strep.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    In general, I simply rest when I'm sick but, given the frequency of threads like this, doing so seems to be unpopular among those who create and respond to such threads.

FWIW, nothing good ever came to me by working out or exercising when I was sick but, if you can't help yourself, at least don't work out so much as to put you (or others, if you are contagious) in bed or the hospital.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is - listen to my body. If I'm exhausted, tired, and just want to sleep, then that's what I do. My body is probably expending all of it's energy fighting off whatever it is I've got. If I'm feeling okay, but a little crappy, then I'll do a light workout. If I'm feeling fine and just have a runny nose or something, full on workout it is.

I do, however, workout from home if I'm sick - don't spread your germs to everyone at the gym please :)
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I was feeling a cold coming on and went to Body Pump anyway. I actually felt better during and after the workout, but a couple of hours later felt a little sick. Today, I feel blah so I am not going to work out and am having soup and other comfort and high sodium foods.