Back to square one, pretty devastated!

Options
So about 6 years ago I was 183lbs, decided to lose weight, went down to 130lbs in 6 months and loved it. Some of the weight crept back on when I moved in with my other half, then I started a new job and more went on since I was going out to eat with friends etc. Then over the last year I developed severe depression and I comfort ate! I did join a gym and went for a little while but my depression got worse and I couldn't bring myself to go and I gained even more pretty quickly. I've weighed myself today and I'm back up to 181lbs which I'm so sad about. I'm also getting married in 9 months and do not want to look how I do now (not that there's anything wrong with being 180+lbs, I just dislike how I feel at this weight).

Should I be able to lose 40lbs in 9 months?

I'm in need of some advice on where to start again!

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should try to lose at the same rate as before, it might have contributed to your regain. Just set up your account to lose 1.5 pounds per week, and reduce this to 1 pound and then 0.5 pounds as you get closer to goal weight. Hit that target every day. If you exercise, eat back half of those calories too.

This is excellent advice! op this is exactly what you should do!
  • gorditalindaz
    gorditalindaz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, there's a lot more information now a days and I like to read a lot so I can better evaluate the questionable advice out there. I think 40lbs in 9 months is reasonable. I have been doing keto to address my blood sugar and I like it because it keeps me full and it's easier to eat less calories. I've lost 20lbs and it's 3 months now. I don't work out like a beast, just cardio dance classes that are fun. From what I've read it seems the low-cal, low fat diets tend to slow down your metabolism so you end up regaining once you eat normally again so watch out for that. It's been slow and steady for me. Don't let your emotions control your eating. Explore different ways to deal with emotions until you find something that suits you. I like dance classes for the exercise and social interaction and I feel it eases my stress. I had to take control of my food choices because food manufacturers put so much sugar in everything. I made my own chocolate the other day using unsweetened chocolate and stevia and splenda. You can do it!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    40 lb in 9 months... That's definitely doable. That's only a little over 4 pounds a month.