Squat weaker than deadlift

I’m not sure why my sumo deadlift is so much more than my squat. I compete in the 123lb weight class for Powerlifting and my deadlift is 385 and my squat is 305. Can anyone tell me why that is?

Replies

• JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    What's your conventional deadlift 1RM? Not to get into a high-bar / low-bar debate, but how do you squat?
  • TienNguyen10
    TienNguyen10 Posts: 16 Member
    I’ve never done conventional deadlift. Ever since I joined Powerlifting my coach has made me stick to sumo deadlifts. And similar to deadlift my coach has made me stick with high bar squats.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    Cool that you have PL coach. What has he / she said about the variance? Some of it comes from how your built, some people are just natural deadlifters. Look at Dan Green, his sumo squat is insane and I think he's about 5'8" if I recall. It may just be a genetic thing for you.

If your sumo DL is that strong, your posterior muscles must be very strong, I wonder if you're lacking in being able to engage your quads enough in the squat.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    My 1RM on squat was 180; DL hit 270 (pretty big difference). I switched to low bar squats with PL coach. In 4 months, I hit 205 for a single; and just did 185 for a set of 6. Low bar squats have made a huge difference for me.
  • TienNguyen10
    JAYxMSxPES

If im understanding correctly you’re asking about what my coach has said about the variances in squat and deadlift to me? Well he honestly just told me I had to do sumo deadlift and high bar squats. He just didn’t allow me to try the other variants.
  • TienNguyen10
    Thanks for the advice deputy_randolph. I’ll see if my coach lets me
  • Your powerlifting coach wants to go only highbar ? Are you shortish ?
    Also it's pretty normal to pull more than you squat
  • TienNguyen10
    edited January 2018
    Heytimsla

Yes I’m only 5’2
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Your powerlifting coach wants to go only highbar ? Are you shortish ?
    Also it's pretty normal to pull more than you squat

Also under what circumstances does it make sense to do sumo deadlift but not regular deadlift? (This is a genuine question, I am a noob powerlifter)
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES

If im understanding correctly you’re asking about what my coach has said about the variances in squat and deadlift to me? Well he honestly just told me I had to do sumo deadlift and high bar squats. He just didn’t allow me to try the other variants.

No, not questioning why your coach has you doing what you're doing. I'm asking if your coach was able to explain why your sumo is so much greater than your squat? I would expect the typical person to pull more than they can squat but why such a variance exists I couldn't say without training with you. Like I said earlier, some folks have "builds" that are better for DL'ing, some better for squatting, some better for high-bar instead of low-bar, etc., etc., etc.
  • Sumo is pretty solid. Lot of ipf records are held with sumo. Super advantageous depending on musculature and limb length.
  • Heytimsla

Yes I’m only 5’2

Totally makes sense then. Wouldn't worry about it. Always good to work in the opposite for accessory though.
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    Squatting 80% of your deadlift sounds normal to me. What are your goals?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    SQT is always less than DL.

If not, there something wrong w/how the DL is being done.
  • TienNguyen10
    Squatting 80% of your deadlift sounds normal to me. What are your goals?

I plan to get my squat at least 350
  • TienNguyen10
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »
    JAYxMSxPES

No, not questioning why your coach has you doing what you're doing. I'm asking if your coach was able to explain why your sumo is so much greater than your squat? I would expect the typical person to pull more than they can squat but why such a variance exists I couldn't say without training with you. Like I said earlier, some folks have "builds" that are better for DL'ing, some better for squatting, some better for high-bar instead of low-bar, etc., etc., etc.

Ohhh no my coach never explained to me anything about the discrepancy. He just said that I just need to squat more often
  • b93jjayd1zjw.jpg
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES

Ohhh no my coach never explained to me anything about the discrepancy. He just said that I just need to squat more often

Your coach doesn't seem to be concerned then, so I wouldn't worry much about it either. Generally speaking, people are going to pull more than they squat; it's just a greater mechanical advantage. Now should one's squat be within "x" percent of their conventional DL or sumo DL or oly squat... who's to say. People are built differently which can help make them more proficient at a certain lift than others. That could be why your coach wants you doing sumo and high-bar, probably sees how your built and how you move through the range of motion.

My one suggestion would be to add squat volume in the form of paused squats or dead squats and see if that helps at all. Honestly, the variance between your dl weight and squat weight I wouldn't worry about it that much, just keep working towards your goals. ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    This is a question for the professional you are paying to train you.

Being said- it's totally normal for your squat to be less than your DL. Your squat will develop. I can squat 300 (poorly)- so I'm sure with training it absolutely will go up-sometimes- all it needs is time under the bar.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    JAYxMSxPES

As a competitor, I understand why it matters 2u but 85# is NOT that big of a difference between your SQT and DL.

FWIW, I'm 67 (an old man) & 158#. My 1RM for DL is 400 and for SWT 280. That's a 120# diff and I'm fine w/that because I'm NOT a competitor and those weights put me in the "elite" class for men my age and size based on the Strength Level database and the Killustrated charts.

I could SQT (and even DL) a bit more but I've been seriously injured SQTing b4 and at my age I don't want to get injured again. So, max weight is not my objective. Just maintaining my strength and fitness is.

Just be careful how much you push yourself in training to up your SQT. A back injury will set you back immensely and no good can come from that.

Been there and done that. Good luck!