Thinking of going plant based (what the health) sacred me

Options
Any one done this or have any recipes ?

Replies

• carlyraeho11as
    carlyraeho11as Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh and I checked them out at my local library! You can check out vegan cookbooks there as well! And I own Dining in the Raw by Rita Romano!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    And a bit more.

On the health rationale for 100% plant based put forth by What the Health:

IMO, WFPB diets, done properly (which is a bit more challenging than doing a healthful WF-based omnivore diet properly) are extremely healthy. But so are other diet options. The claim that eating any meat or animal products is going to kill you faster is really disingenuous.

On the factory farming stuff (and the vegan ethical debate), I'm bothered by a lot of factory farming practices, and have tried to opt out of the animal agriculture aspects of it (getting meat/eggs and most dairy from local farms). I'm currently thinking through my own views on the ethics of meat in general and respect those who do this, whatever conclusion they come to, but I think this is a separate matter from the health bit, and I don't think people should allow their feelings about the ethics to lead to a cherry-picking or twisting of the evidence re health, and I see a lot of vegan advocates doing this (and many, like the woman I cited in my other post) being much more serious and respectful of the real evidence.

One option, again, which may or may not be satisfying to you and may lead to further reflection, is being careful about sourcing your meat/eggs/dairy, and perhaps even meeting and talking to the people who work at the farms from which you buy.

As for reasonable health advice, I think the Harvard site is pretty good (I think it's silly on potatoes, though) (https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/). I also like this discussion from David Katz: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/science-compared-every-diet-and-the-winner-is-real-food/284595/

I think Marion Nestle is a good source: https://www.foodpolitics.com/about/ (she has a book that goes into decisions about diet).

I think from a vegan perspective Virginia Messina and Jack Norris are respectable and helpful and give unbiased advice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'll add that I'm totally supportive of anyone going plant based and eat plant based a lot and respect the ethical decision to do so. The above was about the idea of going plant-based because of being "scared" by What the Health.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    And a bit more.

On the health rationale for 100% plant based put forth by What the Health:

IMO, WFPB diets, done properly (which is a bit more challenging than doing a healthful WF-based omnivore diet properly) are extremely healthy. But so are other diet options. The claim that eating any meat or animal products is going to kill you faster is really disingenuous.

On the factory farming stuff (and the vegan ethical debate), I'm bothered by a lot of factory farming practices, and have tried to opt out of the animal agriculture aspects of it (getting meat/eggs and most dairy from local farms). I'm currently thinking through my own views on the ethics of meat in general and respect those who do this, whatever conclusion they come to, but I think this is a separate matter from the health bit, and I don't think people should allow their feelings about the ethics to lead to a cherry-picking or twisting of the evidence re health, and I see a lot of vegan advocates doing this (and many, like the woman I cited in my other post) being much more serious and respectful of the real evidence.

One option, again, which may or may not be satisfying to you and may lead to further reflection, is being careful about sourcing your meat/eggs/dairy, and perhaps even meeting and talking to the people who work at the farms from which you buy.

As for reasonable health advice, I think the Harvard site is pretty good (I think it's silly on potatoes, though) (https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/). I also like this discussion from David Katz: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/science-compared-every-diet-and-the-winner-is-real-food/284595/

I think Marion Nestle is a good source: https://www.foodpolitics.com/about/ (she has a book that goes into decisions about diet).

I think from a vegan perspective Virginia Messina and Jack Norris are respectable and helpful and give unbiased advice.

I think Marion Nestle is a great resource for people who want to think more about their food choices, the frequency with which we eat certain foods, and how food policy decisions are made. Everything I have read by her has been really level-headed and based on a solid foundation.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold PETA up as such a grand champion of animal rights (beyond the shock value of the footage they display)....
    https://www.petakillsanimals.com/proof-peta-kills/

As for going vegan, if that is the ethical stance that you wish to make - go for it and more power to you!!

I think it's possible to acknowledge that PETA's feed shows some things that are difficult (at least for some) to watch without holding them up as a "grand champion of animal rights."

I don't know the feed that is being referred to and I'm no fan of PETA, but there certainly are things happening to animals that I would prefer not to participate in.

And I agree with you on this ^, which is why, much like lemur, I try to local source as much as I can so that I know how the animals are treated and cared for.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Jane. I'll check out those resources.

I have definitely read books from other non-vegan doctors about the benefits of healthy fats (Eat Fat get Thin by Dr Mark Hyman) but I personally already consume a lot of avocado, nuts, seeds and coconut so I found the tip to add less oil to my cooking insightful.

And yes, the animals are the most important part. There are films like Food Inc, Life and Death on a Factory Farm, etc that expose how these poor animals are treated. And PETA's feed shows some excruciating to watch footage.

Well, yeah. If someone is already consuming a lot of fat, reducing consumption of plant oils may be a good way to ensure that one is meeting overall calorie goals and getting enough of the other nutrients that one needs. This doesn't mean that plant oils are, in and of themselves bad, need to be avoided by others (who may not be consuming as much avocado, nuts/seeds, and coconut), or that they will somehow create weight gain in someone who is meeting their calorie goals.

But this can be said for a lot of foods. If I'm eating a lot of oats, I may choose to eat less bread. If I'm eating a lot of sweet potatoes, I may choose to eat fewer apples. This doesn't mean that bread or apples are bad foods or that other people need to avoid them. It means that people who are meeting their nutritional needs and hitting calorie goals are always making decisions like this, it's part of what a healthy diet looks like.