Does the Source or Type of Fiber Matter?

Options
ladyhusker39
ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I'm working on incorporating more fiber into my diet, mainly to help with digestion and to experiment with how satiating it will be. In general, I find carbs to be better for managing my appetite than fat or protein, but I've only recently been giving thought to understanding fiber.

I'm working on losing another 25 lbs this year after having lost 35 lbs last year to reach what I think will be my ultimate weight of about 150 lbs.

I know there are different types and sources of fiber, but I'm not clear on which type if any I should focus on for my purposes. Plus, there's always the question of which will benefit me health wise, but I suspect they each have their own benefits.

In any case, I'd love to get some thoughts/opinions/suggestions on the wonderful world of fiber.

If there's more specific information I need to provide to get some helpful responses just let me know.

Thanks!

Edited to add: Also I know MFP recommends 25g per day, but I'm also curious to hear other thoughts on this as well.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There is soluble and insoluble fiber. They are different, insoluble fiber is that type that doesn't get digested and sweeps stuff out with it. I can never remember where you get which fiber, so I try to vary my sources - whole grains, fruits, veggies, beans. Not sure how much that helps you :lol: but at least it gets the ball rolling!

ETA: I am currently trying to hit the 25g goal. Once I can do that consistently I may try to see if I can get higher.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I've found that chia seeds do a good job of "sweeping stuff out", especially when "wet" (i.e. mixed with milk or yogurt and allowed to gel).

EDIT: not in a "cleanse" way, but rather in a bowel movement inducing kind of way
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Heck, I have no trouble le hitting my fiber goals as of now. Sometimes I have to back off. Lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, it matters in that soluable and insoluable do different things, but I honestly can never remember what's in what, so just try to get a good variety of fiber sources in my diet.

Since I started trying to eat mostly plant-based (and so eating a lot more legumes), wow, my fiber is crazy high. It wasn't low before, though.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/fiber/
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Yes, it matters in that soluable and insoluable do different things, but I honestly can never remember what's in what, so just try to get a good variety of fiber sources in my diet.

Since I started trying to eat mostly plant-based (and so eating a lot more legumes), wow, my fiber is crazy high. It wasn't low before, though.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/fiber/

This is what I'm trying to do as well. I started thinking about this because I've been hearing about high fiber tortillas and decided to give them a try. Ole Extreme High Fiber is very tasty and has 11g for 50 calories. Then I looked closer at the label and saw that it's all insoluble fiber. That got me wondering if I should be looking at the different types or not.

Eating a balanced diet with varying sources of nutrients is my go to mode.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic has a detailed explanation of fiber on their website...

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fiber/art-20043983
    Soluble fiber. This type of fiber dissolves in water to form a gel-like material. It can help lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels. Soluble fiber is found in oats, peas, beans, apples, citrus fruits, carrots, barley and psyllium.
    Insoluble fiber. This type of fiber promotes the movement of material through your digestive system and increases stool bulk, so it can be of benefit to those who struggle with constipation or irregular stools. Whole-wheat flour, wheat bran, nuts, beans and vegetables, such as cauliflower, green beans and potatoes, are good sources of insoluble fiber.