Is logging sustainable long term?

Options
Hey,

Like many of you, I joined this site because I wanted to make a lasting change in my diet and to hopefully lose a couple of pounds in the process. I have been logging religiously over the past 20 days and it has gone well.

The main issue for me is that I don't see this process as sustainable long term. (1) I feel like an accountant every time I eat, (2) Every meal feels like a business transaction with legal paperwork to sign, (3) I went from eating out twice a day to once in 20 days as my usual spots don't allow accurate logging, (4) I no longer judge food by just its taste - everything is a real estate deal with calories replacing money.

Anyone else having success with logging but wary of it being something that they can stick to long term?

Replies

• W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'll take breaks, via logging but I'll continue to, weigh weekly & if/when I regain 10 pounds, I'll log again; until it's gone! Therefore I fully expect, to regain weight; once I reach goal & cease logging!
  • The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Once you are at your target weight, you can stop logging to see how you do. You should probably continue to weigh yourself once per week to catch yourself before poor choices wreck your weight.

It may be that you need to log in order to maintain weight. It may be that you’ll only need help getting to your goal and be fine afterward.

My boyfriend agreed to lose weight with me, but he got so annoyed trying to log food. Our agreement now is that he can be more aware of how he’s eating, but he has to go back to logging if he goes up in weight twice
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It is up to you to decide how long you need or want to log your food for. In my opinion it also depends on your relationship with food, and how much weight you need to lose. If you are a volume eater, love food too much, or can get hooked on binge episodes, and are not good at estimating, then you may need to log for a long time. I get what you are saying because the weighting and logging drives me crazy sometimes so here is what I do to keep my sanity.

1) I eat out 2 or 3 times a week. I only log the food if the restaurant has the nutritional information. If not, I don't log at all and I don't spend time looking for something similar in the database. I write a note of what I ate in the comments section, and that's all.

2) I don't log while on vacation (short or long), unless I prepare the meal. And if I do cook, it would be an estimate because I don't travel with a food scale.

3) I don't log when I eat at a friends' house, and I don't take pictures of the food or take a food scale either so I can log later.

4) I don't log during the holidays.

What I do is: control what and how much I eat; I try to exercise more to get extra calories in the bank; and/or don't eat exercise calories during the week so I have more calories available during the weekend.

There are many people that are in maintenance and not longer logging and others that will need to log for ever and they don't mind. I do.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I've done it for 4 years now. Not necessarily every day or week, sometimes I take a few months off, but definitely I'm here every year doing it. Lost the weight once and got to goal weight, and I'm almost there again after having another baby. MFP works as long as you want it too and put in the effort. :) (And I plan to keep using it)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for 2 years. Takes me 5mins on the night before.
    However I don't plan to log forever. I've been slim for most of my life wuthout logging and I plan to get back there when I feel like it.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Are you teaching yourself what a proper meal size looks like for various foods? to know when you are over eating or under eating without actually calculating the calories? This should be a goal to prevent yourself from going back to old eating habits.

You dont have to be a food accountant for the rest of your life if you learn and teach yourself to maintain properly, and if you start to gain again you know what to do to get back to where you want to be.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Once a year when I take my vacation I don’t log or wear my Fitbit. The rest of the time it’s just a part of my normal life. It’s been a couple years now and takes less than 5 minutes a day
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for almost two years now. I lost around 50 lbs and am in maintenance, and I plan to continue logging for the foreseeable future. Logging takes a lot of stress out of weight management for me - I don't have to wonder if I can fit that treat in on any given day, or if that spike on the scale is water weight or fat. I'm fairly casual about the calories, meaning I'm not obsessive about getting to the exact count of everything I put in my mouth, but I'm precise enough to make sure that I'm hitting my net calorie goal most days. It really doesn't take much time or energy at this point, if I'm eating out I estimate, and most of my usual foods come up automatically in the calculator at this point.