Should I up my calories to TDEE? Will I gain?

Options
As posted in another thread, I am hovering at max 1400-1500 with around 70 mins of exercise per day for around 6 days and reached a plateau of 60kg at 171cm. I am wondering if eating more at this stage will help me to maintain or lose a little more weight? Can anyone enlighten me?
Apparently my TDEE is around 2100 and my garmin says I burn about 1800-1900 without adding exercise...

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I did not find the activity monitor calorie estimates to be accurate enough. I felt like the numbers were too high. I suggest instead just using the estimates provided by MFP, adding in my exercise calories. Another approach is to play with the activity level, watching your weight and adjusting appropriately. My maintenance experience with this approach has been good.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Up your calories by a few hundred calories for a few weeks, see how things pan out and then if you are still losing, up them again. It takes a little time to figure out true maintenance calories, it is highly likely your TDEE isn't far away from 2100, its probably more actually.

You will 'gain' water weight when you up your calories as the glycogen stores replenish but thats normal and temporary, within a few weeks that will settle down.

As an example I'm only 5ft 2 and not as active as you by the sounds of it and I maintain on almost 2000 calories.
  • carolns4534
    carolns4534 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE?
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If you're at a plateau, you need to eat less.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    What is TDEE?

Total daily energy expenditure, made up of BMR (metabolic rate, or what your body burns just to keep you alive), TEF (thermal effect of food, or the energy used digesting food), NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis, or movement outside of intentional exercise), and intentional exercise, which has a nifty acronym that I currently can't remember. See https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/metabolic-rate-overview.html for more detail.