Do you Deload Week??

Options
Started a push pull legs push pull legs rest routine, and have been at it for 2 months pretty hardcore...

Have been lifting for several years now but started this new routine about 3 months ago coming off a sprained wrist

Feeling pretty drained this week, figured I'd keep going until I start to lose reps...

What's your experience cycling off and on a deload week
How do you decide whether or not it's time?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Absolutely. I tend to deload every 6 to 12 weeks depending on how my body responds.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I deload when needed for sure.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The only time I do is the before a meet. With my programming it actually detrains my strength for a couple weeks so it's not optimal for my goal. Though I've done some high intensity deloads(pretty much a taper)in the past that I prefer over the other styles if I were to.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Yes when I'm feeling a general fatigue in my legs which isn't the norm, its like an over tired feeling then I know its time to take a week off from lifting.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    To be honest, not really. It is more on a lift by lift basis. My programming is kind of set up so I will do a lift variation/rep range for 4 weeks, then typically move on to something else.. so when I come back to it I tend to taper it down, then get it back up again if that makes sense. I do take a huge deload between bulk/cut cycles, and I probably should do them more often, but I get a feeling where the weights are getting heavy and form is starting to suffer (or just before) and I will take the weight down a notch, do more reps or maintain the same weight until I can get up again.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I tend to deload after every 6th week typically, maybe 9 at most depending on what's going on. I push myself every week and try to hit certain goals, but that 6th week I go for broke, to the point where having a down week is helpful. On my deload week I still work up to my training max for a single, maybe do 1 volume set of an accessory lift and I'm done. My deload is probably a tad more intense than what you find in some of the training programs which is why I don't mind it much.
  • From9five
    From9five Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When i notice my routine taking a toll or just getting stale i usually take a week and completely mix things up. The last time i did this i worked in full body circuits instead of my usual split for sets. Lighter weights but keep the intensity relatively high. Really helped me break up the monotony and get a little rest in. Then continue with your normal programming the following week. Works for me, at least. Give it a try.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Absolutely. I tend to deload every 6 to 12 weeks depending on how my body responds.

This ^ . My first deload week, I reduce my weight by 20%, the second week I reduce them by 10% and then it's back to normal on week 3.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I usually do a Beyond 5-3-1 workout and deloads are scheduled for ever 4th week but I generally only do them every 8 weeks because the normal schedule is 3 months of deloads per year.

Deloads were never used when I started lifting but seem to have come into vogue over the last 10 years or so. You can always just do a rest week instead but deloads help reduce soreness and keep you in a working rhythm so I think either rest or deload will be a preference.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated!

I'll probably continue like normal until the end of this month, then take a deload week as I switch to cutting for the next 3 months heading into May
  • JAYxMSxPES
    Options
    I usually do a Beyond 5-3-1 workout and deloads are scheduled for ever 4th week but I generally only do them every 8 weeks because the normal schedule is 3 months of deloads per year.

Deloads were never used when I started lifting but seem to have come into vogue over the last 10 years or so. You can always just do a rest week instead but deloads help reduce soreness and keep you in a working rhythm so I think either rest or deload will be a preference.

@Wheelhouse15 Double-check the book, pretty sure Wendler changed it to once every 6 weeks in "Beyond."
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2018
    Options
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »

@Wheelhouse15 Double-check the book, pretty sure Wendler changed it to once every 6 weeks in "Beyond."

I'll check again. I think he has some programs that alter he deloads but not all of them IIRC. I generally do first set last with jokers. Rather painful lol.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    Options

I'll check again. I think he has some programs that alter he deloads but not all of them IIRC. I generally do first set last with jokers. Rather painful lol.

If you haven't joined his website it's a good consideration. He's released a lot of programs and other great insights there as well. He actually introduced SSL a couple years ago. :D
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

If you haven't joined his website it's a good consideration. He's released a lot of programs and other great insights there as well. He actually introduced SSL a couple years ago. :D

I'll have to take a look! Everyone and their brother seems to have one lol.