Question for ladies/TOTM/maintenance

Options
So I 've been doing well since I 've restarted 5lbs down in 3 weeks,working out 4,5x a week.
I'm due to come on in less than a week (not very regular)and I get it baaaad. Got horrible cramps everytime,painkillers few times a day and I turn into ravenous,furious lunatic.

My question is I 've seen some women set calories to maintenance while on,if you do how long do you keep it on maintenance calories?

I'm at my worst until I 've come on and maybe a first day will it be bad if I set myself up for a whole week ?
I don't even bother stepping on scale when totm as I am so bloated sometimes it shows up to 5lb overweight (I know it's not real weight but still don't want to see it ).

My maintenance calories are 1900 by MFP but that seems really high to me .I'm 165 cm (5.5) and 70 kg (145 lb ? ).

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your other questions (I'm lucky and don't have any problems with my periods), but for reference, I'm 47, 161 cm and 56 kg, lazy, and I maintain on around 1900, so I think 1900 for you is low, if anything.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5' 5" and I weigh 125 lbs. My maintenance is around 1700, so 1900 for you sounds about right.

Every month is different for me. Sometimes I am completely fine, no cramps, no cravings, minimal bloating and other times I walk a couple steps and double over and can't stand up straight because of the cramps and I can't fit into some of my clothes without bloating and bulging spilling over.

That being said, I do maintenance 1-3 days depending on how I am feeling.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    1900 is not high for you at your height. I'm shorter and I maintain on a bit more.
    If your hungry during that time eat at maintenance for the worst days anyway.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    It's trial and error to find what works for you, maybe you could try gradually increasing a few days before. Maybe eating around 1700 for a couple of days then maintenance on the worst days. Playing around with macros helped me too. I eat far more carbs on the couple of days prior than usual.

1900 really isn't that high.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I can't answer your other questions (I'm lucky and don't have any problems with my periods), but for reference, I'm 47, 161 cm and 56 kg, lazy, and I maintain on around 1900, so I think 1900 for you is low, if anything.

^^ we have very similar stats :smile:
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I don't workout much during this time so I don't have alot of exercise calories to play with and was unsure if 1900 is right but you 've put me at ease.

I won't shoot for 1900 everyday but I'll set it at maintenance so I'll have extra calories there when I need them.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Thanks everyone I don't workout much during this time so I don't have alot of exercise calories to play with and was unsure if 1900 is right but you 've put me at ease.

I won't shoot for 1900 everyday but I'll set it at maintenance so I'll have extra calories there when I need them.

Try increasing activity too, it can do wonders for cramps (I know it's hard to motivate yourself when you're feeling bleurgh) but it might make a difference.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Yeah agree with @tinkerbellang83 I find exercising really sorts any would be cramps in general during that time. I push myself on regardless and am always glad I persevered.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I know exercising would be good but I really struggle during this time .Not so much with motivating I love working out, more with overall pain/cramps/upset stomach I get.
    I 've managed yoga today and need to do stronglifts tomorrow but can't get myself to run during that week.

I'll try and do yoga everyday at least . I 've started 30 day yoga with Adriene and I really like it.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I know exercising would be good but I really struggle during this time .Not so much with motivating I love working out, more with overall pain/cramps/upset stomach I get.
    I 've managed yoga today and need to do stronglifts tomorrow but can't get myself to run during that week.

I'll try and do yoga everyday at least . I 've started 30 day yoga with Adriene and I really like it.

Perhaps even getting out for a walk will help.