I dont get it...

Options
pilot2007
pilot2007 Posts: 9 Member
edited January 2018 in Getting Started
Currently I am 33 years old and have 80 lbs to lose. For my age, activity level, and weight I have a BMR of 2500calories. For the past 2 weeks i have been ultra strict with my intake. I have weighted out every meal, given up all sugar and processed carbs. I have been able to maintain 1500-1800 calories a day with intermittent fasting. Yet I don't see any results on the scale, in fact, I see a GAIN of 5 lbs! I have not been this strict with my weight loss and eating habits in a very long time. At most my 1 indulgence is a diet Mt. Dew every once in a while. What is going on, what am I missing!? If anything I should have seen a 2 pound decrease.
Any incite as to what is going on or tips to change this would be much appreciated.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not enough time (I realise that some people usually lose a lot of water weight at the start, but its not a given either), if you are logging accurately and are happy that your intake is indeed between 1500 and 1800 calories you WILL lose weight, just be patient and give it time.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Did you start a new-to-you exercise?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    pilot2007 wrote: »
    Currently I am 33 years old and have 80 lbs to lose. for my age, activity level and weight I have a BMR of 2500calories. For the past 2 weeks i have been ultra strict with my intake. I have weighted out every meal, given up all sugar and processed carbs. I have been able to maintain 1500-1800 calories a day with intermittent fasting. Yet I don't see any results on the scale, in fact, I see a GAIN of 5 lbs! I have not been this strict with my weight loss and eating habits in a very long time. At most my 1 indulgence is a diet Mt. Dew every once in a while. What is going on, what am I missing!? If anything I should have seen a 2 pound decrease.
    Any incite as to what is going on or tips to change this would be much appreciated.

I presume you mean a TDEE of 2500 calories rather than a BMR (BMR is your calorie burn for minimum body function, TDEE is your Daily Calorie Burn with normal activity factored in).

Sugar and processed carb intake won't affect your weight loss so not really worth mentioning.

5lbs is well within the realms of normal weight fluctuations, these can be caused by:
    • Hydration Level
    • Changes to Macros
    • Changes to Exercise Routine
    • Digestive Processes (Food & Water in your system)
    • Medication
    • Alcohol

2 weeks is too early to say if you've made any progress because the weight fluctuations can mask actual fat loss. Weight loss isn't linear, you don't always see the scale reflect what you should see on paper because the body is a complex machine.

How often are you weighing?
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    38zzval6d189.jpg
  • pilot2007
    pilot2007 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Gotcha, I wasnt going to give up just voicing some frustration over the fact of a gain. I have always been the person to take things to the extreme and be precise at everything I do. I wanted to take a month and get control of my eating habit before moving on to a weekly exercise routine. I'm sitting here laughing at my own frustration because I want it to be like a math equation.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Gotcha, I wasnt going to give up just voicing some frustration over the fact of a gain. I have always been the person to take things to the extreme and be precise at everything I do. I wanted to take a month and get control of my eating habit before moving on to a weekly exercise routine. I'm sitting here laughing at my own frustration because I want it to be like a math equation.

We all wish it was like a maths equation :lol:
  • quiksylver296
    edited January 2018
    Options

We all wish it was like a maths equation :lol:

Amen to that. I'm up 2.4 pounds this week according to the scale. Even though I've been eating at a confirmed deficit, weighing and logging all my food.

Stupid scale. :/