Mini-Cuts

Options
Just wondering if anyone has experience or opinions on running a mini-cut during a longer bulk cycle. I kind of have a general idea of how it goes, but would love to hear more about what you have heard and what you do.

I would like to run one after next month. This will be after about 4.5 months of bulking, total gain will be about 11-12lbs at that point, bodyfat will be in the mid 20s if I had to guess (I am female). My plan is to have a transition week, then about 4-5 weeks of cutting.. then continue to bulk starting in April for a few more months.

For those that run them, do you do a maintenance/transition week in between, do you go really aggressive, how do you keep your macros, and do you find it helped with continuing with the bulk and nutrient partitioning?

Thanks!

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Not personal experience, but the Revive Stronger Podcast has had Mike Israetel on several times discussing mini cuts in detail. Here's a link to one episode, I'm sure there are others.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpfNTvbSMWc
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    I was mid bulk when I prepped and ran my 15 miler. I didn’t change to a deficient I just put it at maintenance. BFP went down and yielded a 3% decrease in lean muscle mass which was alright in my book.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I've ended up with maintenance weeks, but never actually cut. I don't want to have to go back to 2k cals!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I've done a few mini-cuts. Usually if the bulk goes a little dirtier than I wanted I'll do a mini just to get back on track. They aren't unusual for a lot of bulking cycles, particularly long term ones. You could also try a slightly longer recomp but that can put your bulk on hold longer.

I'm not too worried about macro, as you already know, just protein mostly and overall calories. Mini cuts usually don't last long enough for a transition in or out of, you might be doing more than a mini cut by the looks of it, which I see as more of a 1-2 week break in the bulk rather than a month. If you are planning on running your cut for a month or more you are probably looking at more traditional cut, just a short one.

I don't think a mini cut is the place to go really aggressive, maybe a pound a week at most for the cut, as it can be counter productive to you overall bulking plans.

It might be time to rethink your bulking plans at this point. I know you are having some doubts and that's normal so I would definitely recommend stepping back and looking at your goals and time frames from the start and determining your proper course of action. You might be better with doing a recomp right now or slowing your bulk but not getting into a mini cut right now.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I've ended up with maintenance weeks, but never actually cut. I don't want to have to go back to 2k cals!

I hear that!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I've done a few mini-cuts. Usually if the bulk goes a little dirtier than I wanted I'll do a mini just to get back on track. They aren't unusual for a lot of bulking cycles, particularly long term ones. You could also try a slightly longer recomp but that can put your bulk on hold longer.

I'm not too worried about macro, as you already know, just protein mostly and overall calories. Mini cuts usually don't last long enough for a transition in or out of, you might be doing more than a mini cut by the looks of it, which I see as more of a 1-2 week break in the bulk rather than a month. If you are planning on running your cut for a month or more you are probably looking at more traditional cut, just a short one.

I don't think a mini cut is the place to go really aggressive, maybe a pound a week at most for the cut, as it can be counter productive to you overall bulking plans.

It might be time to rethink your bulking plans at this point. I know you are having some doubts and that's normal so I would definitely recommend stepping back and looking at your goals and time frames from the start and determining your proper course of action. You might be better with doing a recomp right now or slowing your bulk but not getting into a mini cut right now.

Hmm.. that is a good point. I don't know what do to but I know that I want to put on more mass overall. I'm not so much having doubts, I just don't want to get too big and get discouraged with my progress. I also keep thinking how I want to be lean(er) certain times but this also conflicts with the overall umbrella of my goals. Ahh then add expanding our family in the future to the mix and it is a bit of a mess (arg.. being a woman!)

Thanks @not_a_runner for the video, I love Mike :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Hmm.. that is a good point. I don't know what do to but I know that I want to put on more mass overall. I'm not so much having doubts, I just don't want to get too big and get discouraged with my progress. I also keep thinking how I want to be lean(er) certain times but this also conflicts with the overall umbrella of my goals. Ahh then add expanding our family in the future to the mix and it is a bit of a mess (arg.. being a woman!)

Thanks @not_a_runner for the video, I love Mike :)

Well can't say I have much experience with the being a woman part. ;) I can say that I have had the same conflicted thoughts on my bulks as well, however. It's definitely hard since you have a lot to balance AND keep on track with diet and exercise. You have my awe and respect!

I posted on your wall as well, maybe we can get a good discussion there as well from your friends that have experience with this. You have a great FL after all.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Not personal experience, but the Revive Stronger Podcast has had Mike Israetel on several times discussing mini cuts in detail. Here's a link to one episode, I'm sure there are others.

Yep, I’ve run quite a few of them with great success. Helps you drop some water and excess fluff if your bulk has been a bit too “successful”.

Highly recommend reading the Revive Stronger article on them and considering 6 weeks as 4 is just a bit too short in my opinion.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Yep, I’ve run quite a few of them with great success. Helps you drop some water and excess fluff if your bulk has been a bit too “successful”.

Highly recommend reading the Revive Stronger article on them and considering 6 weeks as 4 is just a bit too short in my opinion.

Thanks!