Help/suggestions needed. Does anyone use a scale that measures body fat?

Options
I use the Nokia Body +, I like that it shows body fat% but I was wondering how accurate these scales are?

I weighed in today and had lost 3 pounds since a couple weeks ago, but my body fat mass only dropped 1 pound. So that means I lost 2 pounds of muscle? That is a bit discouraging.

I lift weights at least 2 times a week, I do a yoga class once a week and pure barre one a week. I feel like all that is helping me strengthen and I feel stronger and have been able to lift more.

I started training for a half marathon only 2 weeks ago in the mix with all of the above I mentioned. I only run 3 times a week and so far it has been 2-3 mile runs so nothing crazy. so I am surprised I am losing mostly muscle.

Also I am not in a crazy calorie deficit or anything. My range is usually 1800-2250. Lower on the days I am less active higher on the days I am most active.

Any suggestions or help to lose more fat than muscle?

Thanks!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    They aren't very accurate at all for body fat %

To maintain muscle, ensure you're getting adequate protein and do some strength training.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    They aren't particularly accurate...

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/diet-weight-loss/article/body-fat-scales-step-right
    One problem with body-fat scales is that they are often inaccurate. Many variables affect the results, including how hydrated you are, when you last ate and exercised, and even whether your feet are highly calloused or dirty, as well as the type and quality of the product itself. Studies have found that different body-fat scales produce widely varying readings and that these often differ from standard methods of fat measurement. (Devices that also have hand electrodes tend to fare somewhat better.) In a study published in Obesity Facts in 2008, scales with only foot electrodes underestimated body fat in people with lots of body fat and overestimated it in leaner people. Even the manuals say the devices may be less accurate for elderly people, highly trained athletes, children and people with osteoporosis, among others. Consumer Reports no longer tests body-fat scales because of their inaccuracies.
  • joeydahatt
    joeydahatt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    They aren't accurate and how hydrated you are can throw them off as well. But even DXA scans, the most accurate (and most expensive) measurements can be inaccurate, particularly in obese people. Hydrostatic weighing comes in second but has it's limitations. Handheld impedance testers are third. But don't completely dismiss the scale. Even if it's off by a couple of percentage points you can still use it to measure progress. Just make sure that when using it conditions are as close as possible each time you use it. Same time of day, same hydration level, clean dry feet, etc. Combined with the best tool of all, the mirror, you can judge your progress.
  • joeydahatt
    joeydahatt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    soinbnsng wrote: »
    I use the Nokia Body +, I like that it shows body fat% but I was wondering how accurate these scales are?

I weighed in today and had lost 3 pounds since a couple weeks ago, but my body fat mass only dropped 1 pound. So that means I lost 2 pounds of muscle? That is a bit discouraging.

I lift weights at least 2 times a week, I do a yoga class once a week and pure barre one a week. I feel like all that is helping me strengthen and I feel stronger and have been able to lift more.

I started training for a half marathon only 2 weeks ago in the mix with all of the above I mentioned. I only run 3 times a week and so far it has been 2-3 mile runs so nothing crazy. so I am surprised I am losing mostly muscle.

Also I am not in a crazy calorie deficit or anything. My range is usually 1800-2250. Lower on the days I am less active higher on the days I am most active.

Any suggestions or help to lose more fat than muscle?

Thanks!

Also the weight difference may be, and probably is, water and not indicative of muscle loss. My weight can vary 2-3 lbs in a single day due to levels of hydration.
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you have only lost 1lb of fat (which is great, given your goals and everything by the sounds of it)...then don't assume the other 2lbs are muscle. Your body isn't just fat and muscle.
    Sounds like we have similar schedules (except I am running a bit more as I was already doing that) and eat similar calories most days too. I didn't notice any changes for about 3.5-4 weeks but in the last couple of weeks suddenly noticed (visually) my body changing. The scale doesn't say much different but my BF measurement is down (caliper tested every 4 weeks), and I am getting some definition to my shoulders and back. Stick to a modest deficit, make sure you eat back your exercise calories, and keep doing what you're doing.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I had one for a while & ended up replacing it with a plain digital scale after the scale weight proved to be totally unreliable. The fat% measurements were wonky, too, and later I read about how variable those numbers are depending on, among other variables, body hydration levels.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I do, because I have a Fitbit Aria. But I pay no attention to that number.