Reducing breast size

Options
2»

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Maybe someone can explain this to me - I don't understand the need to have someone help you with bra fitting. Either the band and cups are the right size or they aren't. Too tight, get bigger. Too big, get smaller.

If we can manage getting pants the right length and width, why do we need help with bras?

I know my actual sizes, and that women's clothes manufacturers only loosely conform to this, so when I try things on I grab a few different sizes of the same item, and generally one will fit.

Because we all tend to wear our bands too big and our cup sizes too small. Having someone who actually knows what your measurements translate to really helps. Unless you are actively measuring your rib cage right under your breasts and using that as your band size, it's not right. Also, I find it takes a few changes in cup sizes (ie. go up or down a half size or two) to find the exact right one for you. So sure, you can totally do it on your own, but having someone who's familiar with the differences between brands/styles also helps. :)

^^This. It seems to be the one thing people don't get right on their own, or at least not until they've had a bra fitting and know how it should fit. I'm betting most women think the correct band size is too tight when they first try it. It's meant to be firm on the outer hook setting, and sit straight when you move about.

Even knowing what size you 'should' be doesn't always work because of variation between brands and even between styles within a brand. I always try before I buy, and I usually get the fitting checked by an assistant.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Genetics. When I lose weight it's always from my face, boobs and arms first...the top three places where I need it the LEAST, lol.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I don't have this particular problem, but I'm wondering where you ladies get your bras fitted? You can't pay me enough to go into a Victoria's Secret, but I've never seen anywhere else offer the service.

I'd pay quite a premium for a comfortable bra.

Come to NZ, bra fittings are pretty standard, and you can get fabulous things at decent prices. We are apparently a haven for those seeking larger cup sizes that are still pretty in particular (difficulty returns if it turns out you have the torso of a child with said ample cup size though :\).
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I lost around 100 pounds and went from 44 g/h to a 36g. I so wanted to lose more cup size, but no such luck.

As far as getting fitted, it is amazing how much better the bra feels comfort wise and how good they look when you are properly fitted. I am guessing the larger, the more it makes a difference, but I could be wrong. I am in St. Louis and we have a bra shop called Ann's Bras, they were great when I was losing weight and I was always looking for new bras.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Sorry this isn’t really the thread topic but Reddit has a thread called “a bra that fits” that gives precise instructions on how to fit your own bra.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I don't have this particular problem, but I'm wondering where you ladies get your bras fitted? You can't pay me enough to go into a Victoria's Secret, but I've never seen anywhere else offer the service.

I'd pay quite a premium for a comfortable bra.

Google "bra fitters near me". Word of mouth amongst friends is good, too.

My preference is for smaller boutiques. I wear a bra size that isn't normally carried in stores, so I usually go in at least annually to get fitted, buy a couple of bras there, and then will order more colors/styles from the same brands online. Freya, Fantasie, and Rosa Faia/Anita are my favorites for every day wear, and I like Moving Comfort, Panache, and Anita for my sports bras.
  • jocelynmoore08
    jocelynmoore08 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Genetics. When I lose weight it's always from my face, boobs and arms first...the top three places where I need it the LEAST, lol.

Me too!!! My boobs are my first indication that I'm on the right track. Unfortunately after 2 kids they go from kind of ok to just flesh pancakes. :(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone can explain this to me - I don't understand the need to have someone help you with bra fitting. Either the band and cups are the right size or they aren't. Too tight, get bigger. Too big, get smaller.

If we can manage getting pants the right length and width, why do we need help with bras?

I know my actual sizes, and that women's clothes manufacturers only loosely conform to this, so when I try things on I grab a few different sizes of the same item, and generally one will fit.

Because we all tend to wear our bands too big and our cup sizes too small. Having someone who actually knows what your measurements translate to really helps. Unless you are actively measuring your rib cage right under your breasts and using that as your band size, it's not right. Also, I find it takes a few changes in cup sizes (ie. go up or down a half size or two) to find the exact right one for you. So sure, you can totally do it on your own, but having someone who's familiar with the differences between brands/styles also helps. :)
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    ^^This. It seems to be the one thing people don't get right on their own, or at least not until they've had a bra fitting and know how it should fit. I'm betting most women think the correct band size is too tight when they first try it. It's meant to be firm on the outer hook setting, and sit straight when you move about.

Even knowing what size you 'should' be doesn't always work because of variation between brands and even between styles within a brand. I always try before I buy, and I usually get the fitting checked by an assistant.

Lol, one of you says women tend to get bands are too loose and the other too tight.

I still think if we can get our waist band on pants right, we can get a bra band right.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Lol, one of you says women tend to get bands are too loose and the other too tight.

I still think if we can get our waist band on pants right, we can get a bra band right.

We said the same thing, actually. Katiebear said women tend to wear bands that are too big, I said most women think the right band size is too tight. Hence why they buy a band that is too big.

And you can think that all you like, but the fact is when most women get properly fitted they discover they were wearing the wrong size. Maybe you're not one of them, or maybe you are and just don't know it.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

I think you misinterpreted what Nony_Mouse said--she said that most women will think that the correct-fitting bra will feel too tight when they first try it on. But if you consider that it's only going to stretch out more every single time that you wear it, you should start on the loosest hook with a snug feeling and that way you can move to tighter hooks as the bra stretches out.
  • MarieLoms
    MarieLoms Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Didn’t quite mean to make this just about bras.

I have been properly fitted several times in my life and it’s been devastating each time to find how the weight I’ve lost doesn’t change the size. I was hoping for more of you guys to share stories of progress you’ve made and such, which some of you did.

I get it’s genetics and bra fitting. And if that doesn’t work an actual reduction. But for someone like myself, who can’t afford a 10k surgery for reduction nor who has seen any improvement on the breast weight loss since beginning, I was just hoping for some positivity. Not so much “check your bra” considering I’ve worn nothing but sports bras for the past year cause I’m embarrassed about my bust!

I understand I didn’t convey this in the beginning haha! Thanks anyways for you input, I’ll keep working on weight loss/getting more muscle to hopefully help!

Wish you all the best of luck!
  • SwissHausfrau
    SwissHausfrau Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I’ve been a Fd/e cup all my life regardless of my weight.... don’t be embarrassed - embrace them. Get a good bra fitting and you will feel very different about how they look.
    Or if that doesn’t help then. Good minimizer bra in the right size will also help.
    If they are causing physical or psychological issues then can’t the operation be covered my medical insurance? I’d suggest speaking to a doctor - if you haven’t already.
    I live in Switzerland where we have compulsory medical insurance and I know it would be covered here.... it would be free in the UK on the NHS- I worked with someone who had the surgery done because she suffered lots of spine problems.
    It is important to do exercises to strengthen the chest and back muscles. Always be aware of your posture as the weight in breast tissue can contribute towards lots of problems at a later date.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    boehle wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    I went from 75C to 75B (that's European size, in cm. Cup is the same I think)

Good thing you said European.
    At first, I was like dear mother of God.. those things have to hurt.

It's fairly small. Though honestly, I don't know what that would be in US sizes. Lets see if I find a converter. Apparently 34C to 34B. I'd prefer a nice, tight A cup though. Oh well.. can't have it all I guess.