Why did the number on the scale go up this week? Here's why.

Options

Replies

• glspark1
    glspark1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So glad you guys bumped this up! I ate more than usual than this weekend, because I felt I was under-eating and fatigued only to see the scale about 1.5 higher this morning. I'll attribute a little of that weight to Saturday's long ride and Sunday's run.
  • karamcrizz
    karamcrizz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Totally appreciate this thread today.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    1. Hydration
    2. Sodium
    3. Sleep
    4. TOM
    5. The weight of food processing through your system
    6. Exercise (new/increased exercise can cause water retention, which can show up as a gain or stall on the scale)
    7. Time of day of your weigh-in

Excellent points.

I bolded the four with the greatest potential for impact. Any hormonal change will result in intracellular water uptake (water weight). This is the body's natural defense against change occurring, whether it be hormonal, exercise change, sodium change, etc. The weight of a human adult body is ~60% water, so even small shifts in hydration - sweating, drinking, etc. and or drop pounds quickly. 16 oz water weighs 1.04 lbs.

At 6'4" 226 lbs my daily water weight fluctuates ~5 lbs throughout the day - this is perfectly normal.

You geek, you. <3
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great info and well timed, so thank you!!!!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    1. Hydration
    2. Sodium
    3. Sleep
    4. TOM
    6. Exercise (new/increased exercise can cause water retention, which can show up as a gain or stall on the scale)

Excellent points.

I bolded the four with the greatest potential for impact. Any hormonal change will result in intracellular water uptake (water weight). This is the body's natural defense against change occurring, whether it be hormonal, exercise change, sodium change, etc. The weight of a human adult body is ~60% water, so even small shifts in hydration - sweating, drinking, etc. and or drop pounds quickly. 16 oz water weighs 1.04 lbs.

At 6'4" 226 lbs my daily water weight fluctuates ~5 lbs throughout the day - this is perfectly normal.

You geek, you. <3

...and yet I smile :)

• CSARdiver
    Options
    1. Hydration
    2. Sodium
    3. Sleep
    4. TOM

Agree 100% with your assessment. I mostly included #5 because I refuse, on principle, to ask an internet stranger "when's the last time you pooped?"

Hey fiber is important - especially if you're on a high protein diet.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    1. Hydration
    2. Sodium
    3. Sleep
    4. TOM

Agree 100% with your assessment. I mostly included #5 because I refuse, on principle, to ask an internet stranger "when's the last time you pooped?"

Hey fiber is important - especially if you're on a high protein diet.

True. So is fat. I feel like this comes up more often with women, especially women who still have some of that "fat makes you fat" 1980s dogma in their brains. Occasionally I'll see newbies who are female, maybe a little older, who are "gaining weight" on a high-protein/low-fat diet and I'll think "is there a way to ask this question delicately?"

I'll defer to @AnnPT77 for this.

I'm more of the blunt instrument and would keep it simple "So how's your poop?"
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Bumping.
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    OP, this is a good thread, much appreciated!
    Tacklewasher, that's cool to see. And good to hear about the happy scale app for the IOS. Downloaded! :)
    As for the other stuff, I always look at my eliminations b4 hitting Johns buttons. Looking at eliminations is the BEST way to tell what's going on in your system, and that includes urine. PooPaw the established (western med), way of thinking urine should be lemon yellow, and clear. The clear part is true, but the lemon yellow indication is bogus. If you aren't getting enough vitamin b's, the urine will be lemon yellow. If you are, your urine should be a light green to very dark yellow, this indicates that you have an excess and your kidneys are working just fine. :smiley:
  • Xxjayxxxxx
    Xxjayxxxxx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Good post as my weight changed 3lbs today most rubbish had a packet of crisps.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This needs a bump.