How often should you go to the gym?

Options
I swim 2 or 3 times a week but have a gym membership and want to use the weights there. Currently I'm very eager and look forward to going (I hope this attitude will last!) but I'm unsure how long to rest in between sessions to ensure my muscles recover. I've been going every 2 to 3 days but don't know if this is correct and don't want to over do it

Replies

• se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    In my opinion this comes from experience and getting to know how your body responds. At the same times it's difficult because noticing whether something works takes awhile too, it's slow trial and error process. I noticed that for me hitting every body part twice a week is good, but some it's best to hit every main body part once a week. For example, Chest, Legs, Shoulders, Back, and Arms (some people combine arms with chest or back), or some people split it up with upper and lower days, again this is personal preference, I like to focus each day on one of those areas, but some people like to combine these. Does this make sense? Probably not the exact answer you were looking for but this what I think, and my opinion, maybe others might have better answers :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Are you following a program? It should tell you how often. Do you feel like you are overdoing it and overtraining?
  • gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Maybe look for a program that weight trains every other day. That way you can still get you 2-3 swims in a week while lifting. You were a competitive swimmer, so I am sure you don't want to give that up.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    tyrindor wrote: »
    Some people say it's best to only weight train once or twice a week. Muscle is gained during the down period, and more is not always better when it comes to building muscle. Most people who are able to go every other day aren't pushing themselves hard enough during the actual workouts. If you are lifting heavy and pushing to the break point, going every other day is likely slowing progression because you need to give muscles time to rebuild (at least 48 hours IMO).

Everybody's different and sometimes just gotta do what works for you.

This is going to highly be dependent on programming. I can work the same muscles 5-6x per week and it has nothing to do with not pushing myself hard enough.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Some people say it's best to only weight train once or twice a week. Muscle is gained during the down period, and more is not always better when it comes to building muscle. Most people who are able to go every other day aren't pushing themselves hard enough during the actual workouts. If you are lifting heavy and pushing to the break point, going every other day is likely slowing progression because you need to give muscles time to rebuild (at least 48 hours IMO).

Ideally, one trains upper body 2x per week and lower body 2x per week. Plus cardio. To train 2x per week total is a maintenance form of training when progression would not be expected. Honestly, your statement about people who train every other day not pushing themselves is nonsense. It all depends on effective programming. FTR, I train 4 days per week at age 66 and push it hard each session. There is no slowing of my progression. It's all about programming.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Yup, I train 5x a week. Must not be pushing myself.
  • mmapags
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

This is going to highly be dependent on programming. I can work the same muscles 5-6x per week and it has nothing to do with not pushing myself hard enough.

Posted basically the same thought within a minute! You go girl!
  • mmapags
    Options

Guess not. Slacker!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Most farmers don’t get to take rest days... however, do you want to be a slave to the gym? Your answers lay in your fitness goals... do you want to train for some fitness event? Spartan run et al... or fit for the sake of fit? Nothing wrong with that aspiration... strength goals? Join a team? Anyway you or your body will let you know
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Guess not. Slacker!

I think my glutes would say otherwise ;) LOL
  • YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would go with a starting program and the recommended rest. I usually see every other day or 3x a week for a full body workout each or you can do more days but with a split routine.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

image.jpg
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    "however, do you want to be a slave to the gym? Your answers lay in your fitness goals... do you want to train for some fitness event? Spartan run et al... or fit for the sake of fit? Nothing wrong with that aspiration... strength goals? "

^This. What do you want? Personally, after going through a period of going almost every day, which did me no harm I can assure you, I made a new year's resolution a few years ago to go to the gym less LOL. I have settled on 3 days a week usually, and I enjoy taking my dog for longer walks and sometimes doing "yoga" videos on my off days. As others commented, you may enjoy a combo of weights and swimming. I love swimming- but I love my dog more. ;)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    That depends.

Are you trying to get stronger for swimming as a sport you compete in? If so, two strength training days per week is a decent default.

If you are swimming just for the benefits and enjoyment, then you'll need to find a program that isn't complicated that has enough recovery that fatigue doesn't set in.

Just keep in mind that your strength will not grow the same as if you were not swimming and just training 3x a week on a Starting Strength program regardless which one of the two it is.

• staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm finding 3 days a week works well for me as a newbie. I do legs one day, chest/triceps/shoulders, and then back/biceps. A bit of ab work on all 3 days as well. I'll be looping in some cardio once it's not so cold and icy outside. I can't really fit in more at the moment with my schedule, but I see some progress.
  • From9five
    From9five Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    A 3 day full body split is a great place for anyone to start and works quite well. You can do the simple ones such as starting strength or stronglifts and venture out to other programs as you get more comfortable or want a change.