Almost 45...

Options
Hi there, I am really feeling the effects of weight gain the older I get...I really want to begin exercising regularly and making better food choices so I will feel well and have a healthy body during the second half of my life. I have a hard time sticking to a Diet but am determined to track for the next 60 days and hopefully make healthy eating a habit by then...please add me, I have lots of support to offer and need lots of encouragement to keep up the self discipline and not get lazy...here we go!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Whenever people say they struggle with sticking to a diet, I wonder if they're trying to eat things they don't particularly like, and/or cut out things they do like. I used to do that, and I was hoping that doing it for long enough, would make it into a habit. But I could only do it for a while. Then the cravings took over, and I overate and regained.

Whne I found MFP, I was overweight, but I was also ready to change my attitude. I learned that to lose weight, all I have to do, is to take in fewer calories than my body burns, over time. I also learned that a healthy diet is enough of everything I need every day, but not too much of anything over time. I was regularly greeted with the mantra "everything in moderation". That was difficult because I used to think I was addicted to sugar. But in reality, I was compulsively overeating because I didn't dare to allow myself pleasure from eating.

Planning great tasting, varied and balanced meals, and enjoying them, has been a gamechanger for me. That is something I can be diciplined to stick to. I eat anything I like, but not everything at once, and not all the time. I don't even work out anymore, I get enough exercise from normal daily activity. I no longer struggle with my weight - I have had a stable, healthy weight for over three years now, the longest ever.

I think you will find MFP a great set of tools if you use them correctly.