Does whey protein harm the kidneys? Should you drink it if you’re trying to lose weight?

Options
Hey guys!!! I’m halfway through losing 80 pounds. I’ve been lifting weights to increase muscle mass and burn more fat. I incorporated whey protein, gold standard, two weeks ago. Today I heard from someone that protein hurts the kidneys, that I shouldn’t be drinking it if I’m trying to lose weight and that I shouldn’t even be lifting weights but rather doing cardio. I think it’s bull, but I still wanna run it by you guys.

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ^^ What they said
  • R4U1R0DR1GU3Z
    R4U1R0DR1GU3Z Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys!!!! Todays protein shake will be even more delicious!!!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    OP: I lost 40# in 6 months and have maintained the weight lost for the past 14 months on a high protein diet (0.8-1.2g/# BW), which has been supplemented w/a lot whey protein, and my kidneys are fine.

I also gained strength and reduced my BF to 10% as measured by hydro, over the same time period, by doing BOTH progressive weight lifting AND cardio (mainly rowing).

So, in my experience, the advice you got was pure nonsense.
  • R4U1R0DR1GU3Z
    R4U1R0DR1GU3Z Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!! I feel silly now but I’m glad I asked, now I have the information to back up my choices.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have also heard people say that whey protein powder is bad for you but I have always just ignored it haha. Good to know they are wrong.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!! I feel silly now but I’m glad I asked, now I have the information to back up my choices.

Aw, don't feel silly! It's really hard to sort through good information and bad. There is just so much misinformation floating around about diets that it bombards us all the time. I'm glad you asked, too. The answers helped you out and they'll probably help others who see this post but never thought to ask.