Any Pregnant Ladies still lifting?

Options
I'm currently just over 4months pregnant. I was training to be a bodybuilder before I fell on and was in my bulk cycle. I'd obviously gained some size and weight, I did a mini-cut when I found out I was pregnant.

My morning sickness and exhaustion played a huge part in what I could still do exercise wise? I didn't feel able to do my 7 days per week, some days I struggled to get 3 days per week in!

Now I've hit the 2nd trimester I'm full of energy and getting back into my now adapted 6 day a week programme but my favourite exercises such as squats are just a no go because of stretching pains and pulling.

I'm eating at maintenance and have upped my protein levels as advised by my midwife and she's told me I'm safe to carry on exercising as normal.

My routine is currently:
Monday - leg
Tuesday - Chest & shoulders
Wednesday - Spin
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Back
Saturday - arms
Sunday - Spin/Run

Any tips on what I could change or adapt? Or any exercises you've found work best on those days? With my restrictions I'm just struggling to do great programmes and feel maximum benefits like I could before.

I don't want to gain too much fat whilst pregnant as don't want to counteract all my previous hard work! But I know I'll gain some. Just trying to keep it to baby weight & water.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I'm not pregnant and can't offer any advice, but congratulations!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

When I was pregnant with my second, I continued to lift with modifications along the way. These are the recommendations I found and followed :

-If you were doing it before you were pregnant and you don't have any complications according to your doctor/OB you should be able continue the activities during pregnancy (with modifications as time goes on).
    -Safety first – listen to your body - If any exercise starts to cause discomfort, stop immediately (I had to stop doing quite a few exercises because they just felt off, this is different for everyone) - also stay hydrated and take breaks as needed
    -Don’t lift too heavy – I have heard less than 70% of 1RM is recommended (for me I was doing way less than that)
    -Using higher repetitions at lower weight as opposed to low reps with heavier weight (I stayed around 10-12 reps for most exercises)
    -Avoid exercises lying on your back (especially after first trimester)
    -Limit direct ab work and excessive hip and waist flexing movements
    -Ligaments are a lot looser during pregnancy and balance may be off so use caution

I followed a modified version of Strong Curves (a mix between the beginner and bodyweight program), it was a 3 day per week full body which was just enough but not too much. I also did a lot of walking, stairclimber for cardio and prenatal yoga. I listened to my body and stopped doing things that felt off... for example I had to stop doing deadlifts around 25 weeks because of balance and foot pain.

Good luck!
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My last pregnancy ended at 17 weeks (for reasons that could not possibly be related to lifting). I lifted the entire pregnancy, basically following sardelsa's rules above. I quit doing box jumps, but I continued everything else with minor modifications.

Congrats and good luck!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My last pregnancy ended at 17 weeks (for reasons that could not possibly be related to lifting). I lifted the entire pregnancy, basically following sardelsa's rules above. I quit doing box jumps, but I continued everything else with minor modifications.

Congrats and good luck!

I'm very sorry for your loss. <3
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Im following most of those recommendations sardelsa. The 70% of 1RM is so difficult to stick to when you know you can do so much more don't you think??

I'll continue to monitor it all and ensure I'm looking after myself. Im currently managing 6 days exercise with 1 rest day. 4 of which are weight days and 2 cardio days. We have a spin bike at home which is where most of my cardio is done. It comes in handy but now my hips are starting to widen and pelvis is shifting I'm suddenly noticing an incredibly sore bum from the bike too hahaha!!

Thanks for the advice ladies!
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    A gel saddle cover can go a long way in making spin bikes more tolerable, for a variety of bodies that need to modify the saddle.

I like this one for a cheap,decent option:
    Zacro Gel Bike Seat Cover- BS031 Extra Soft Gel Bicycle Seat - Bike Saddle Cushion with Water&Dust Resistant Cover (Black)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H71AZ36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_T7-yAb8FQMG74

(Absolutely no affiliation. Just like them..)