Utah national parks. What to eat for (US only) picky eater?

Options

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Can you stop at a grocery store and pack yourself food to eat while at the park?

I second going to Moab/Arches. Stunning location.

I'll get what is available in small stores I'm afraid. My professional programme in SLC is full, and I won't have the time to go shopping there before driving down. If I manage to get to Cedar City on the first half day then I'll look for a proper supermarket there. Otherwise it'll be the small stores around the parks.

no to Moab/Arches. Really :) My programme is fixed. Ok then.. I'm a geologist and I want to see very specific things in the parks I've chosen. I know it'll be full around Memorial weekend, but can't help it.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Be glad you're not going right now...national parks are currently closed due to the government shutdown. Just check before your trip to make sure the government is actually up and running. If it's not, there are a lot of state parks in Utah to visit.
  • yirara
    Options
    Be glad you're not going right now...national parks are currently closed due to the government shutdown. Just check before your trip to make sure the government is actually up and running. If it's not, there are a lot of state parks in Utah to visit.

Oh gosh, didn't realise parks were closed due to that. But I have a backup programme of state parks coincidentally. Basically in case I saw everything I wanted to see in the NPs and have some time left. Just planned as short visit, but there's still so much to see.
  • yirara
    Options
    Stephen801 wrote: »

Even better. Cheers, mate.
  • fritch_gets_fit26
    fritch_gets_fit26 Posts: 40 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    When I go out to eat I don't usually choose a full meal from the menu. I always get a big glass of water, order a grilled meat option (chicken breast or shrimp usually), and veggie option...so a salad with dressing on the side or whatever veggies they have. I find it is the safest route for me to take, and most everywhere does a grilled chicken breast...or has the option to have something grilled. You can also ask for no oil or salt, etc.
  • yirara
    Options
    When I go out to eat I don't usually choose a full meal from the menu. I always get a big glass of water, order a grilled meat option (chicken breast or shrimp usually), and veggie option...so a salad with dressing on the side or whatever veggies they have. I find it is the safest route for me to take, and most everywhere does a grilled chicken breast...or has the option to have something grilled. You can also ask for no oil or salt, etc.

That's so great to hear. I don't go out often, but here staff will look at you oddly if you ask for something off the menu or for a complete change to a dish. Like: why eat here if you don't like what we have.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

the parks arent closed but the visitor centers and things like that are.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

That's so great to hear. I don't go out often, but here staff will look at you oddly if you ask for something off the menu or for a complete change to a dish. Like: why eat here if you don't like what we have.

its not like that in the US in most places. even a lot of the fast food places will special make an order like if you dont like condiments and tell them to keep them off they will. many restaurants will cook things certain ways if asked due to food allergies and so on,.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    One of the best things about being the fattest nation is that we sell food everywhere. And I mean everywhere. You can find a local convenience or drug store like a CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, 7-11, you can find an abundance of snacks, even things like fruits and veggie trays. They all sell beef jerky, dairy products, breads, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt etc. We Americans don't mess around when it comes to food. We need it close by at all times.
  • yirara
    Options

So what does that mean? You can't buy a ticket and can only get in if you have an annual pass? You won't get brochures and other unneeded stuff?

Just in case I've at least made plans involving a few State Parks, like Snow Canyon, Escalante Petrified Forest, Codachrom Basin, etc...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    Thanks mate. No heat source. I have a tiny electric travel cooker, but only for European current, thus I would not be able to warm up anything with that .

Cant you buy an international adapter so that it does work?

They are not very expensive and then will last indefinitely for any other visits to US or other countries?

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    Sorry to all Americans: I'm generally not too keen to visit your country. But anyway, I'll be visiting Salt Lake City for a conference later this year and decided to add 7-8 days of visiting a few national parks. My plan is: 2 nights each Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef.

You'll love Bryce Canyon ... it's my favourite out of the selection you've made.

We stayed at Ruby's Inn when we were there. They have at least one restaurant which wasn't too bad. As I recall, there was a decent salad bar.
    https://www.rubysinn.com/

• yirara
    Options
    Thanks mate. No heat source. I have a tiny electric travel cooker, but only for European current, thus I would not be able to warm up anything with that .

Cant you buy an international adapter so that it does work?

They are not very expensive and then will last indefinitely for any other visits to US or other countries?

That would be a 220 to 110 volt transformers, not a socket plug ;)

Considering I can only bring 23kg of luggage anyway and need everything from evening dress and daytime suits to outdoor clothing and lots of conference material I doubt I'll have enough space in my suitcase anyway to bring a hotplate and pot.
  • yirara
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Sorry to all Americans: I'm generally not too keen to visit your country. But anyway, I'll be visiting Salt Lake City for a conference later this year and decided to add 7-8 days of visiting a few national parks. My plan is: 2 nights each Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef.

You'll love Bryce Canyon ... it's my favourite out of the selection you've made.

We stayed at Ruby's Inn when we were there. They have at least one restaurant which wasn't too bad. As I recall, there was a decent salad bar.
    https://www.rubysinn.com/

I was only able to book Bryce View Lodge, and only via a Dutch tour operator (yay, speaking different languages pays off!) as everything else was fully booked.

Oh, I just read that Ruby's Inn has Bratwurst with Sauerkraut. Maybe it's time to sample something typical American :D
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

So what does that mean? You can't buy a ticket and can only get in if you have an annual pass? You won't get brochures and other unneeded stuff?

Just in case I've at least made plans involving a few State Parks, like Snow Canyon, Escalante Petrified Forest, Codachrom Basin, etc...

it means that there will basically be no staff working. its a enter at your own risk type of thing. you wouldnt need a pass but some parks are closed until the government shutdown ends. and no no brochures and some of the bathrooms at the parks are also closed.. anything that is government ran is either closed or limited access and some workers are even laid off during this time and only workers that need to be there are working.
  • yirara
    Options
    Thanks a lot. Government shutdowns are impossible to image here, really.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Thanks a lot. Government shutdowns are impossible to image here, really.

yeah the last one we had was in 2013. weve had quite a few since ive been alive lol.
  • yirara
    Options
    Yes, I remember the last one vaguely. It was a bit thing in Europe (and not in a kind way. Political cartoonists had the time of their life.... like they currently have with the UK)
  • vegaslounge
    vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

it means that there will basically be no staff working. its a enter at your own risk type of thing.

Just chiming in...I second (3rd?)having State as a backup plan. I work for a state historic site in GA so I'm uneffected by the shutdown but it's really not something to mess around with. My park is small and we function on a skeleton crew anyway- Utah parks are MUCH larger and if you get lost, having rangers around is advantageous to say the least, if only so that someone will notice your car is still in the lot after closing time.

(Yes, I may have just had to search ~10 miles of woodland trail for a lost guest who called us to say she "was by a big tree". :| )