Life after Torrid? Need store suggestions.

Options
Kate157120
Kate157120 Posts: 9 Member
This is a good problem to have, I guess, but I have lost weight and am now in their smallest size. A lot of their clothes are too "young" for me, at 38, but I love their basics (jeggings, leggings) and some of their more conservative sweaters and a-line or fit-and-flare dresses. I love their wide waistbands and not-too-fitted tops for my squishy mom tummy. I figure I have maybe 10 pounds to lose before I size out of their selection, and I don't know where to look after that. Is there another store that has similarly cute and forgiving styles, but just in smaller sizes? I'm 5'2" and probably a 10/12 and 34 DD at this point. Hoping for a curvy 8 by summer. Online shopping and free returns preferred.

Replies

• MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Try eShakti... their clothes come in a huge range of sizes, and you can customize them (sleeve length, hem length, neckline) for an extra ten bucks. I've been really happy with the few pieces I've gotten from them so far.
  • GlorianasTears
    GlorianasTears Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Im just very happy for you! Yay <3
  • KRTrenkamp
    KRTrenkamp Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like Burlington Coat Factory. You can shop online and if there is a store nearby they have free returns on online orders to their stores.
  • seriaadi59
    seriaadi59 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    New York and company, express, target
  • Kate157120
    Kate157120 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who offered actual suggestions. I've been every size from 0 to 14 in my adult life, and know from experience that the middle sizes are harder to fit than people seem to think. Just because a store sells a size 8/10 version of their items does not mean it's flattering.
  • 5Months2fit
    5Months2fit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'd say just hit up the local mall for places like Ross and TJMaxx until you hit the size you want to stick at before investing too much money into clothes you'll out (under?) grow. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm 5'8" so much taller...I hope that doesn't matter horribly here. Anyway, I am 41 and wear size 10/12 and I love Madewell, LOFT, Gap, and even Target but not their jeans/pants (just weird cuts usually). Honestly I buy a huge percentage of my clothing in thrift stores but from these brands, especially Madewell and LOFT.

I do understand what you said about just because a store sells your size doesn't mean it's going to fit or flatter. I occasionally find a 10 that is too big and 8 never seems to have room for my bust at all, especially with dresses. Anyway, with jeans, I often need to go with "urban" or "curvy" fits and even then it is a gamble, I have had EXCELLENT luck trying on tons of weirdo cheap brands at TJ Maxx and sometimes Ross (more a TJ Maxx fan though) because that gives you an opportunity to grab 2-3 different sizes, half dozen completely different brands/cuts and see what really works on your figure.

Btw I was between size 20-26 for like two decades and never once stepped foot into Torrid since they didn't have one near me. So I have no clue about comparison to their stuff - I see a lot of Hot Topicky stuff like skulls on friends who shop there which is not my style at 41 (but I do wear some stuff that others consider too weird or too young for 40-somethings, I am not opposed).

I have found ModCloth to be pretty terrible quality for the prices, but mileage may vary, clearly.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    One more note is sometimes it's important to change up the way(s) you dress your body. It doesn't sound like you have had quite the drastic change I did since 14 was your largest size...but I know some of my previous go to outfits DO NOT flatter me now at all. I still reach for flowy cardigans and bohemian style peasant tops sometimes in stores and the dressing room mirror shows me how quick I can look like I gained 40 lb! ha. Everything has to hit at my hip level now, pretty much, body skimming and more of a structured tailored look makes a world of difference. I could fit into a *medium* flowy peasant top and it would still highlight my large bust and any loose midriff flesh and make me look like a 16 or 18. Maybe try some styles you previously avoided?