Do I need to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    130-140.

If you still have 110 lbs lean mass you are approximately 26% BF now which puts you on the low side of Average BF% (healthy spot to be). If no lean mass is lost 130 would be about 15% BF (which would be very difficult to maintain.. it's considered Athletes level) and 140 would be about 21% BF (fitness level, a little easier to maintain). This is all providing you maintain a lbm of 110lbs.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Not a good goal. That would put you well below the essential body fat level for women (extremely unhealthy). If I did the math correctly that is only like 4% BF providing no lbm is lost. Essential BF is 10-13% for women, below that poses serious health risks. It's also an extremely difficult bf% to maintain even at the essential levels.

What's a good goal then? Thanks for explaining by the way.

13 percent is the *minimum* you should have.

By your numbers, you're at 26.6 percent now. So not overfat, but not slender.

To drop your body fat, and maintain your LBM, your minimum weight would be 126. But that also presumes that you're not losing LBM along the way.

Except visually she's nowhere near 26%. There isn't 20lbs to lose, there just isn't. Forget what the scale says and look at what the mirror/picture says and that is telling us this is a psychological problem not a physical one.

Oh, I agree entirely. Although I will say that as someone who stores all of her fat in her torso, we don't know what's under the shirt.

I don't know that her numbers are accurate -- but if it keeps her away from that ridiculous 115 goal, I'll happily toss the calculation at her.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I am so used to OP's never returning or running away as soon as people get a little worried at what they are doing. If nothing else I give you lots of credit for sticking it out and hearing what others have to say.

My personal opinion is that you look fine where you are now from the pictures. If you wanted to recomp I would understand if there was an athletic performance goal you were trying to achieve.

Best of luck to you!
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I am so used to OP's never returning or running away as soon as people get a little worried at what they are doing. If nothing else I give you lots of credit for sticking it out and hearing what others have to say.

My personal opinion is that you look fine where you are now from the pictures. If you wanted to recomp I would understand if there was an athletic performance goal you were trying to achieve.

Best of luck to you!

If by running away you mean leaving MFP for a while because medical circumstances, lack of storage space, or personal life situations then yes I run sometimes. I don't mind hearing/seeing what others have to say though (even if the comments are rude). Have spent most of my life being verbally and physically abused so forum attacks are nothing lol... and thanks, maybe recomp would work.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Not a good goal. That would put you well below the essential body fat level for women (extremely unhealthy). If I did the math correctly that is only like 4% BF providing no lbm is lost. Essential BF is 10-13% for women, below that poses serious health risks. It's also an extremely difficult bf% to maintain even at the essential levels.

Ideally, you should talk to your dr about what goal should be for good health. If you have an upcoming surgery, you will need some reserves to heal and for that you really need to be in good nutritional status . Can you text or call your dr to help you figure a good weight goal for your needs?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Best of luck to you!

If by running away you mean leaving MFP for a while because medical circumstances, lack of storage space, or personal life situations then yes I run sometimes. I don't mind hearing/seeing what others have to say though (even if the comments are rude). Have spent most of my life being verbally and physically abused so forum attacks are nothing lol... and thanks, maybe recomp would work.

no thats normal life that you are describing not running. running is when others dont like hearing what others tell them and for some that may be the truth. so they run from MFP to never be seen again.some people dont like to hear certain things, some would rather you cheer them on because they want validation for their unhealthy habits/lifestyle/diet
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I dont get it... I'm 2 inches taller than you and weigh 4lbs more and i don't look nearly as thin as you! Is there a spare tire hiding under your shirt??
    You must carry a hell of a lot more muscle than me..

That’s what I said in the beginning of this thread
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I think eating at maintenance or a little surplus paired with a progressive lifting program will be a good idea if your doctor oks it.
    Throw away the scale. Forget all about it. You are already lean.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    I dont get it... I'm 2 inches taller than you and weigh 4lbs more and i don't look nearly as thin as you! Is there a spare tire hiding under your shirt??

I have a small lower pudge :(
    2z56skp.jpg

That's not pudge. That's being female.

You. Can. See. Your. Ribs.

You don't need to lose weight. You especially don't need to be aiming for a ridiculous goal of being 115.

"collectingblues" is right. You should not be dieting at all.

If you continue to "starve" your body, bad things will happen. You lose muscle mass ( your heart is a muscle), your bones will get brittle, your hair will fall out, your gi tract will not function right, your mind will have issues like psychosis, you will become anemic, your immune system will weaken, etc.

Eating disorders have a high fatality rate. Bad things will inevitably happen when you don't get treatment.

Your mind is playing games with you (body dysmorphia), making you think you are fat, when you are actually underweight.

This is something you cant recover from alone. If you are under treatment for eating disorders, please call your clinicians. Call your dr.

You need more help than just going online here and asking people on the internet. You need professional treatment.

All this and make sure your scale is right. Nothing about those pictures say 140s for your height
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    1houndgal wrote: »

I have a small lower pudge :(
    2z56skp.jpg

That's not pudge. That's being female.

You. Can. See. Your. Ribs.

You don't need to lose weight. You especially don't need to be aiming for a ridiculous goal of being 115.

"collectingblues" is right. You should not be dieting at all.

If you continue to "starve" your body, bad things will happen. You lose muscle mass ( your heart is a muscle), your bones will get brittle, your hair will fall out, your gi tract will not function right, your mind will have issues like psychosis, you will become anemic, your immune system will weaken, etc.

Eating disorders have a high fatality rate. Bad things will inevitably happen when you don't get treatment.

Your mind is playing games with you (body dysmorphia), making you think you are fat, when you are actually underweight.

This is something you cant recover from alone. If you are under treatment for eating disorders, please call your clinicians. Call your dr.

You need more help than just going online here and asking people on the internet. You need professional treatment.

All this and make sure your scale is right. Nothing about those pictures say 140s for your height

I mean its possible. my normal weight is in the 140s. when I was over 200 I was in a sz 18(us) but then again I have a lot of booty and thigh lol. Im 5'6 1/2. Im over 170 and in a sz 6-8 depends on how its made. (I gained about 10-13 lbs back and it shows). now since I started weight training 5 years ago. Im smaller at a higher weight than I was back when I didnt work out. so when I lost weight (without trying)in 2003 due to having a broken leg and not being able to get to the kitchen as much lol. I went down to about 170-180 and wore a sz 12. This time around I went from a 18 down to a 12 with just a 20 lb loss. Then I lost another 24 lbs and went from that 12 to a 6-8. the lowest I have been since this time is 163 lbs. but I lost a LOT of fat so that made a big difference too .

I know that in mossimo brand jeans(I think they are and are sold at target) with my waist size and hips I could wear a 4 but my thighs wouldnt allow it lol. I have to try all my pants on because of how I am built. if they fit in the legs they are big in the waist and butt .or they wont go over my thighs. so the less fat you have the more you can weigh and look smaller if you have decent muscle tone. But as for losing more weight I would say no,you dont need to lose anymore. My BMI for my height says the lowest is 118 and the highest is like 155. I would never want to be 118 at 125 I look sickly so.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

The best goal is throwing out those scales of yours because you are obsessed with numbers which appear to be very inaccurate. You are not even close to being overweight in that last photo. In fact you are thin already which has me believing you are much taller than you state or weigh less.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You definitely do not look like you have weight to lose, at least from your photo there. Did you run bulk cycles to gain muscle and get up to that weight? Or did it just happen suddenly? What does your doctor say?

If you are happy with how you look and your body composition, then I wouldn't worry too much. I am 5'7 and I would love to be heavier.. my ultimate goal is around your weight.

Thank you :) xoxo. And no. I have a fear of bulking actually.

*alarm bells ringing*

Um...I think you should talk to a professional about this. Not just about the mysterious 30lbs which somehow have not caused any visible difference nor caused any increase in clothing size, but this fear of "bulking".

I've been huge before when I was obese. Why would I let myself go back?

Getting this into perspective.
    You're 5' 6"

You said you're currently a size 0 to size 2.
    How about start to worry when size 8 is too tight ?

Focus on being healthy. You mentioned you're tired. Have some blood work done. And good luck with your Colectomy surgery !! :)