13»

Replies

• Aerocrazd
    Aerocrazd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Aerocrazd wrote: »
    I make a decent very low calorie mac and cheese with a protein for about 300 cals.

Can you give me a recipe for this or tell me where you have posted it before. It sounds interesting. Also, what type of shirataki noodles do you buy? I'm having a hard time finding them except the ones with tofu. Thanks!

I buy regular ones at Japanese groceries but I use the tofu ones for the mac and cheese. They are literally macaroni noodles. I dry fry them, then add like 3-4 wedges of laughing cow cheese while the pan is on the burner still. I use a rubber spatula to get the cheese melted, and add the meat. I eat two bags at once because I am beastly.

Sounds awesome, thank you, beastly one! :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »
    They are highly processed. I think they taste terrible to be honest. I would rather have a vegetable cutting a noodle shape then shirataki noodles. I was told that they are definitely not healthy and to avoid them

What? What is your definition of "highly processed?" Do you know how long shiratake noodles have been around? Centuries at the least.

Exactly. From the Miracle Noodles website: The Miracle Noodles and Miracle Rice are a prime example of this. There are only three simple ingredients – water, Konjac flour and calcium additive (old-fashioned pickling lime). Konjac flour is a fiber that comes from the Konjac plant.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I made a phabulous Pho with them this week. Perfect for when I don't want to "spend" a lot of calories but want a yummy pho.
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    They're okay -- especially in stir fries. Generally I prefer edamame noodles. They are not calorie-free, but they are very high in protein, potassium, iron and fiber.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I make a decent very low calorie mac and cheese with a protein for about 300 cals.

Can you give me a recipe for this or tell me where you have posted it before. It sounds interesting. Also, what type of shirataki noodles do you buy? I'm having a hard time finding them except the ones with tofu. Thanks!

I buy regular ones at Japanese groceries but I use the tofu ones for the mac and cheese. They are literally macaroni noodles. I dry fry them, then add like 3-4 wedges of laughing cow cheese while the pan is on the burner still. I use a rubber spatula to get the cheese melted, and add the meat. I eat two bags at once because I am beastly.

Sounds awesome, thank you, beastly one! :D

Shmelcome
  • banana_butterfly
    banana_butterfly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I eat them at least once a week. And ifyouarenot in the mood for asian flavors, they go well with yogurt based sauces and low fat beef. Try tzatziki and beef as a sauce, that’s what I do.

Also, no rinse shiratakis exist and those are the best. There is nothing bad for you in them.
  • ShelbyLynnMFP
    ShelbyLynnMFP Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    They are fine. Pretty lacking in nutrients, but a good option if you’re craving pasta. Make sure to rinse them well, and bulk them up with protein, veggies, and flavorful sauces.