Binge eating tips & support

Options
I'm living in a shared space with access to tons of sweets, proccessed food, high calorie frozen food etc. And I'm currently off work. I've always struggled with emotional/binge eating but recently have found it especially hard. Any advice, good articles etc are appreciated

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Even though you're surrounded by temptation, you still make food choices, and you can make choices that are good for your body and soul. You can decide to schedule meals and aim to feed yourself regularly, reliably and well, and decide to not use food to ease emotions, distract yourself or chase boredom. There are so many good articles, but you have to know what you're looking for and read them with the right mindset, in order to get anything helpful out of them. When you google, start with intuitive eating, mindful eating, the no s diet, the hacker's diet, demonizing foods, impulsive vs compulsive, and go from there.
  • emmaroberta
    emmaroberta Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice, I'll definitely start with those
  • 1098mn
    1098mn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Is the tempting food let out in the open? Maybe try removing the items. Out of sight out of mind? That’s what I’ve done. Good luck
  • GlitteryAtom
    GlitteryAtom Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Im pretty lucky that I only live with my partner so we are careful about the food that's in the house. But at work there are often bad treats for the team available. Today there are iced bun cakes, chocolate bars, doughnuts (my fav) you name it. So I'm sat here contemplating how harmful one doughnut might be. And then I always remember the saying, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips hahaha. It's not worth it. I know that it will become a habit. Sometimes I put the bad food into the diary first just to see how bad it actually is and then I delete it and also delete the temptation to eat bad food from my mind. Hope this helps
  • laurenburns25
    laurenburns25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am with you 100%. I have a bad habit of binge eating and emotional eating especially after a long day at work. Luckily for me my husband is on the same page and is being respectful with not bringing home sweets (which I tend to devour at site lol) and I have been listening to my body. If I feel like I am starting to get a craving I eat a fruit of some sort. It’s enough to keep me from wanting to lay into a bag of chips lol also out of sight out of mind. The junk food that we have is is hidden.
  • fatguy_fitness
    fatguy_fitness Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with emotional binges as well. In fact, yesterday I could feel one coming on. I was standing in front of the pantry searching for something to shove in my face, but I talked myself out of it. I haven't always been so lucky. I had one a few months ago that lasted a few weeks.

-Get the food out of sight. I once took all the junk food and put it on a shelf in my pantry and covered it with a pillow case.

-If you feel like binging, try another activity. Go for a walk, go to the gym, etc.

-If you feel one coming on reach out to friend, relative or even someone on here. (Hell, shoot me a message if you want). Talk to them and talk through it.