Air walker

Options
Does any one use one of these?

I am recovering from surgery and currently only signed off to walk. Been doing great working up to 3 miles a day outside in one walk. Problem was we got hit by around 6 inchs of snow.
Tried to walk in it and it pulled my stomach muscles, it wasn't good.

Any way, my husband went and got me one of these air walkers, kind of like an eliptical but you don't push with your feet.

I managed 10 minutes the first day, then 80 minutes yesterday.

Does any one know how comparable they are with actual outside walking?

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I've not heard of these before, thank you. They seem interesting. Low impact exercise, the foot being in constant contact with the peddles the action is fluid, eliminating the pounding one would have on the feet it walking or particularly running, easier on the joints. If you have the equivelent of walking poles on yours this makes for a full body workout which gently includes the abs if one is maintaining posture. I wonder if when you were out in the snow you were calling on your abs more for stability than on snow free days. The Osteoporosis Society like them for those with limits, if this helps.

Congratulations for you recovery so far, this machine will help you keep form till you can hit the paths again. You have a very thoughtful husband.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It is no impact really, I can see them being good for people with knee problems, even ankle breaks etc if signed off to weight bare. I'd never heard of one before.

This does have the poles on but like you say that works the abs and I have a few more weeks before I can do that. So I'm just using the solid handle
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Probably less impact than you are used to or would like but as a stop gap its going to be helpful. There would need to be recognisable benefits for the Osteoporosis Society to support their use. For yourself it will help maintain your bone density and keep your supportive muscles working too. I hope you are able to return to your usual walks soon. The recovery weeks will soon pass, we can see the end of January now, February is short, snow fall should be getting less frequent and heavy by then. All the best.