How to up calories to maintainence without gaining

Options
I have reached a weight where I am quite healthy and want to maintain it but having dieted for so long, I don't know if upping my cals with make me gain. Can anyone advice me on this?

Height and weight: 171cm and 59kg
Exercise: ~70 mins a day for at 6 to 7 times a week (burning at least 600 cals/session)

Replies

• healthyandhappy120301
    Options
    Forgot to add that I was eating around 1300-1500 a day (usually 1300) without eating back exercise cals. Online calculators say that my TDEE is around 2100 and BMR is around 1400.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Upping your calories will only result in sustained fat gain if you go into a surplus and stay in a surplus - the same energy balance rules that made you lose weight haven't changed.

Your recent rate of loss is a good guide but some fine tuning may well be required.

• iheartmakeup01
    iheartmakeup01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Upping your calories slowly by increasing 100 calories will weekly will help you transition from dieting to slowly reverse dieting. You will maintain the same weight but you also gain some fat. With your daily expenditure, you will most likely even possible notice that you are continually losing weight even if you increase you calories. What are your current macros
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Change your settings on MFP to maintain and eat those calories. Yes its true you might see a little gain (and its not fat gain) but its only temporary and will settle down within a few weeks. That's why some people ease into maintenance slowly by not going straight to eat at maintenance cals but slightly less, so say maintenance cals were 250 cals more a day than you currently eat, then you could eat 125 more for a short period and then adjust them up.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Or, keep your food intake at the current level and reduce your exercise.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Its trial and error as everyone is different. Just add in and watch it yourself and make adjustments as you go
  • iheartmakeup01
    iheartmakeup01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I’m not talking about the weekly 100 calorie increase, I’m talking about the surplus that takes to hit maintaince.

Ref the bold - why would there be any fat gain?
    Fat gain happens in a surplus, unless OP has been losing at a snail's pace 100 calories isn't going to flip them into a surplus.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I’m not talking about the weekly 100 calorie increase, I’m talking about the surplus that takes to hit maintaince.

Huh?
    I've no idea what you are trying to say!

Maintenance is a calorie balance, surplus is over maintenance, deficit is under maintenance.

Cancelling out your deficit by slowly raising calories until you hit maintenance does not equal surplus and fat gain.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How much weight did you lose and in what time period? Was the loss steady and consistent?
  • healthyandhappy120301
    Options
    I started out at 65-66kg in end Oct-early Nov and reached a plateau for 1 month at 60-61 in late Dec before reaching 59kg.