Sandwiches?

Options
Best place in terms of calories to get a sandwich?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If calories is all that matters, eat half. Just buy one you like. It's a sandwich.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Best place in terms of calories to get a sandwich?

Subway is okay. Jimmy John's & Firehouse subs are going to "cost," but you can eliminate mayo, cheese, etc. things to lighten up the calories. I love Firehouse Subs, but only order a half sandwich (small) and then bring a small salad to work with me.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you're like me, sometimes half a sandwich just doesn't satiate me and sometimes you might find yourself having no choice but to go out for a sandwich. I find well known sandwich shops like Subway, Firehouse Subs, and Jimmy John's are the most helpful since they have online calculators to help you design a sandwich to fit your goals. If you need something lower calorie, leave off the mayo and sauces, and if that's too dry for you, mustard is a good substitute. Stick to one meat and no cheese or choose the lowest calorie cheese you find with the shop's online nutrition calculator.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If I'm going out for lunch, I try to make sure I go lower on calories for breakfast to help offset the higher calorie lunch cost.

Subway has a nice nutrition calculator on their site - you could go there and experiment a bit to see what fits best. Sauces will be the big variance there, and you may want to consider asking for a packet of mayo vs. having the employee add the mayo for you.

Panera could be a good option, too. You can save on calories there by doing a half sandwich and a cup of soup.

~Lyssa
  • armstrongchloe
    armstrongchloe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Your house.
    I don't mean that to sound snarky, but if you make the sandwich yourself, you have a lot more control of the calorie content.

Lol okay, yes, but i meant if I’m out. Not eating at home. Guess i should have clarified that.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I like Wendy's- small burgers not bad
    BK- has an amazing veggie burger for 300 cal- if you say no mayo- other small burgers are fine too
    Subways- etc.
    Now I like to go though the drive in and order a kid's meal- much less calories and still get a taste of the item I wanted
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you are located but I really like Potbelly, Jason's Deli and Jersey Mikes. The key is to get a sandwich and leave off all the extra stuff. There is nothing wrong or unhealthy about a sandwich with lean meat, cheese and veggies. It's adding things like oil, mayo, pesto, aioli, hummus, avocado, bacon, salami/pepperoni etc that really kill the calorie count. Also, skip the chips and get a whole pickle instead for a side. Delicious and low calorie.
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Go to the deli in a grocery store - otherwise none of the chains!!!
    Only chain I have found to have "healthier" sandwiches is Tropical Smoothie Cafe.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Firehouse

you mean jersey mike's? :lol:
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    Your house.
    I don't mean that to sound snarky, but if you make the sandwich yourself, you have a lot more control of the calorie content.

Lol okay, yes, but i meant if I’m out. Not eating at home. Guess i should have clarified that.

I knew what you meant. I often bring a homemade sandwich with me when I'm out and about all day. It just ends up costing a lot less in both calories and dollars. It's just a suggestion.
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Most sandwich shops serve soups and salads, so skip the sandwich and have a soup or salad instead.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you have them in your area, publix has great subs. They cut the meats and cheeses and veggies for it daily in their deli so it's super fresh. Also, with their online ordering, it calculates the calories for your sandwich for you as you build it online.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Most bought sandwiches are at least 500 calories, yet the ones I make myself are no more than 350 max. I know which one I prefer!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread (I think it has another name depending on where you are in the US). They have a few that are lower calorie and filling, and you can also get a half sandwich/half soup (or salad) option and stay under 600 calories. A few of their sandwiches are around 500-600 calories for the whole sandwich, and come with a side.

Arby's classic roast beef is in the 360, grilled chicken sandwiches or junior/single burgers from other chains, a breaded Chik-fil-a sandwich is 440.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Resistive wrote: »
    Most sandwich shops serve soups and salads, so skip the sandwich and have a soup or salad instead.

Why? If OP wants a sandwich, what's wrong with having a sandwich esp if it's within her calorie goals?
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    If you have them in your area, publix has great subs. They cut the meats and cheeses and veggies for it daily in their deli so it's super fresh. Also, with their online ordering, it calculates the calories for your sandwich for you as you build it online.

Wow I definitely did not know this! I've avoided pub subs like the plague the last few years because the calories were such an open ended question. Now I'm very seriously considering ordering one for dinner tonight...
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm so picky about my sandwiches, I usually end up just eating the meats and cheeses on thier own, which naturally reduces the calories way down, since there is no bread or sauce to mess with.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I opt for Subway on the days when I don't bring my own for lunch. A turkey sub on whole wheat, no cheese, lots of spinach and tomatoes and a couple dashes of Subway Vinaigrette. It's pretty low-cal.